What tyres for a 400m sprint.

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I'm doing the Velocity Street Racing Tyne Tunnel Sprints on Friday night.

Currently running 28mm, would I be better off on 23mm or 19mm for 400m sprints?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• well, if it was 300m id say schwalbe ultremos, but for 400 ooh id say conti grand prix

just kidding. the real answer is 'are you seriously considering changing tyres for less than a minutes riding?'
  • Good point, but it'll be several rounds (assuming I don't lose the first race) and there's always ebay afterwards.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • You could have operations to remove weight and remove unwanted organs.

Ear lobes, a eye, nose, your spleen, genitals, bladder, intestines, stomach, liver, kidneys, tongue. Possibly remove parts of your brain that won't be needed for cycling.

That'll save quite a bit of weight and you'll win the race as you have a weight advantage.

Then maybe look into different tyres.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • No time for that, race is tomorrow. But I could do with losing 10kg.

If I'm right in thinking there will be pace cars to draft during the sprints it's not going to make a huge difference.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Continental Olympic tubulars are the only real option. You owe it to yourself.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Continental Olympic tubulars are the only real option. You owe it to yourself.

:lol:

The gold ones no less!!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Something grippy if its wet (I know its in a tunnel, but with cars going in and out you might get some slippery wet patches).
  • The tunnel 's closed to traffic for the night my current 28mms are fine in the wet.

Just looking for an excuse to spend on the bike really.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just looking for an excuse to spend on the bike really.

Then get some 23mm race tyres - plenty to choose from!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    23mm - get some Corsa EVO CX clichers, they're great tyres.
  • I hope you don't mind me saying that you're in for a prize for the worst excuse for buying pretty bike things ever :-). Not a bad thing...

Corsa EVO's 23 or 25mm and some latex tubes. Very fast, very smooth and after tomorrow so thin that they'll be completely useless until next summer!
  • Well I didn't Wi the any prizes in the event so was clearly running the wrong tyres.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I think you were using the wrong legs.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    I think you were using the wrong legs.

I like to think it's everyone else on the wrong legs. Keeps my training requirements down :D