National Cycle to Work day

Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 20
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
So, did everyone cycle to work today despite the rainy/misty weather - certainly in NW England? How many miles did you pledge - I pledged 15 miles so going the slightly longer way home

Any pics from the day? Did you pass more cyclists on your journey?

I passed around 7 cyclists, but I'm not sure if that is more than normal

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    no different to a normal day in London bike wise, if anything quieter on the bike front due to the drizzle.

More cars though for some reason
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    It did seem a bit crazy for traffic in south london this morning - I guess it's back to school traffic as I left a bit later than usual.

Certainly didn't seem to be hordes of eager new cycle commuters on my route but i wouldn't epect there to be on a cold wet morning. I doubt most people even know it's cycle to work day, I didn't until a couple or days ago.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    t4tomo wrote:
    no different to a normal day in London bike wise, if anything quieter on the bike front due to the drizzle.

More cars though for some reason

The fair weather bike brigade are slowly going into hibernation.... noticibly less daily as it gets darker.

It was just a normal day for me, in that I cycle to work everyday.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Yep, I cycled as always and pledged my usual 35miles :)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    This really wasn't advertised well. I only found out last week and it was too late to do anything through work. 3 bikes and 300+ cars as usual today.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ^ +1

3000 staff here and about 10 bikes, as usual.

I saw a couple of people on the way in who looked like new commuters. One on a very serious and very aero looking bike who seemed to be mentoring someone else. But the 'serious' guy was really slow and avoided a red light by bumping his 23mm tyres and deep profile carbon wheels up onto the pavement, followed by his more casual looking mate.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I knew about it - but I tend to ride in anyway so it made no difference to me ..

Didn't see another cyclist going my way, but that's not unusual. Loads of cars around though ... seemed to be more than normal - almost as if they knew it was cycle to work day and decided to get on the road with their cars ...
    Not that I had any issue with any driver today :) (sofar!)
  • I didn't even realise it was national cycle to work day until I was at my desk this morning. Made me glad I decided to ride 10 miles into work in the rain :).

I thought the number of cyclists this morning was quite a bit lower than usual - a combination of the bad weather and the slow drag towards winter I guess. As a a result, despite the rain, I had a great time. Don't think I was shoaled once on the way in!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Slowbike wrote:
    I knew about it - but I tend to ride in anyway so it made no difference to me ..

Didn't see another cyclist going my way, but that's not unusual. Loads of cars around though ... seemed to be more than normal - almost as if they knew it was cycle to work day and decided to get on the road with their cars ...
    Not that I had any issue with any driver today :) (sofar!)

well I thought that on my commute in, maybe the threat of rain/winter/getting darker at night whatever has made them all scurry back to their cars,as there were very few cyclists around and loads more cars than normal, certainly the day made no impact at our place as I dont think anyone knew about it till it was too late.
  • Our other 'cyclist' turned up on her Go-Cycle e-bike!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    ...... every day is a cycle to work day so preaching to the converted here. 60 miles. These so called stupid Cycle to Work Days are aimed at the slothful, fat, lame and lazy.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    dilemna wrote:
    These so called stupid Cycle to Work Days are aimed at the slothful, fat, lame and lazy.
    Well not much pointing aiming it at you is there, so yes arguably they are, but that seems sensible to me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.