Vuelta Stage 18 *Spoiler*

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited September 2013 in Pro race
Pena Cabarga today, the very steep finish climb where Cobo and Froome had one of the most entertaining battles of the last few years back in 2011: http://cyclingcloud.com/race-2106-vuelt ... a-2011-s17 (from 1:44 on)

18_perfil.png
18_puerto.png

Comments

• Looking forward to this one. Think the old man might move into red after today, but with J-Rod getting closer to Nibali too.
  • Come on Nibz - crush the old man Horner
  • I resolve to watch this stage today.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Do we know what time ES coverage starts?
  • 15:00 in the UK - predicted to be around Vega de Pas to Puerto de la Braguía on that profile if I'm reading it right.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    What a beast at the finish. Honestly I'm not really a fan of anyone in the current top 3, so hopefully Rodriguez (whom I refuse to refer to as "J-Rod") can steal a couple of seconds.
  • I’ve never raced up to Pena Cabarga. But my team-mates have done it a few times and they’ve explained to me how it is. Maybe I’ve done it at training as I’ve been based in Santander for six weeks in 2005. It’s a bit different for me now to be racing without Fabian Cancellara. Yesterday, I was never nervous. We knew the peloton was going to split. Fabian was amazing the way he looked after me. He could have pulled out earlier to prepare for the World’s but he stayed yesterday for me, I’m grateful he did that. We still have Gregory
    (Rast), Markel (Irizar) and (Yaroslav) Popo(vych). They’re really good for me too. If there are crosswinds at the start, they’ll do the job, I’m not worried. We have the strongest team on the flat.

-Horner
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,571
    cesco wrote:
    What a beast at the finish. Honestly I'm not really a fan of anyone in the current top 3, so hopefully Rodriguez (whom I refuse to refer to as "J-Rod") can steal a couple of seconds.

I know these parts go with J-Rod, but the peloton call him Purito (http://inrng.com/2012/09/joaquim-rodriguez-purito-name/)
  • The break split up on the Alto de Caracol climb, Vasil Kiryienka is now alone up front - he leads the peloton by 6m05s with ~40km to go. Movistar are setting the pace at the front of the peloton.

Really looking forward to the Pena Cabarga, I'm hoping Roche can pace himself and not lose too much time to Pozzovivo.
  • Kiri not messing around here. We may be in for a treat if he shows some form from previous years. He loves the solo moves.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 3 ad breaks in 10 minutes. ES, you're surpassing yourselves :evil:
  • Szmyd vs Kiri at the moment. Old school front of peloton riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 3 ad breaks in 10 minutes. ES, you're surpassing yourselves :evil:

Since you asked so nicely, have another one :roll:
  • On another note, stunning scenery today.... Checks cost of ferry to Santander
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    dish_dash wrote:
    cesco wrote:

I know these parts go with J-Rod, but the peloton call him Purito (http://inrng.com/2012/09/joaquim-rodriguez-purito-name/)

I know! Sounds like a proper cycling nickname at it too. J-Rod sounds like something Doug Heffernan would call his new neighbour.

Santander always reminds me of Peter Winnen's book. I'm not sure if it's been translated, but if so, definitely recommended. http://www.letterenfonds.nl/en/book/70/ ... -santander
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Under 10km to go, 1'30" or so between Kiri and the chasers.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    edited September 2013
    The Plymouth ferries are weekly on Sundays... no good for Saturday's Angliru stage.
  • Kiri starts to climb. Finally some excitment to my dull day at work...
  • He lost only a minute to the bottom of the climb. Over 5mins is his buffer which is a very reasonable amount with less than 5ks to race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Radioshack have been drilling it since the bottom of the climb. Horner has 28secs to make up. Maybe he is feeling perky. I hope Nibali and the rest crush him though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • He lost 1min in the last km.

4.30 gap with 3.7km to race.

Not sure where Nikki is but he took off aggressively when he got to the climb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Not sure Horner has sat down yet...not sure how a hman can manage that.

Nibali right on his wheel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 4.08 at 3.9km. Looking good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    Showing gap to peloton is pointless at the mo, we need to see the gap to the chasers.
  • If someone sees Horner sit down, please post up :roll:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    Kiri gets to the plateau section... What's the gap folks?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Well there's nobody right behind him if the cars are there...
  • RonB
    edited September 2013
    Saxo on the front of GC group, looks good for Nico.
  • Kiri is looking fairly comfortable at the moment, 1.6km to go but now entering the steep part. No idea how far behind CA Sorensen is.
  • No movement in the GC group yet. Nibali currently looking looking very relaxed. Valverde at the head of things.

3.35 with 1.8km to race.
    Contador is the Greatest