Schwalbe Tyre Volume

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Do all Schwalbe tyres come up bigger than, say, Continentals?

I can't decide if the Schwalbe 2.25 Rocket Rons will be too high a volume for my Epic. I've got 2.2 Mountain King mk2's on atm with lots of mud clearance... I just don't know if I'll be able to fit the RR's comfortably.

Going off the Big Betty 2.4's I've got on the Canyon, Schwalbe come up mahoooosive compared to other tyres.

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info on schwalbes webby on how they measure their tyres.

no idea how conti do theres cant comment
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The 2.25's aren't that big tbh, at least the more xc orientated aren't. I ran 2.25 Nobby Nics for years and never thought they were huge, they look downright tiny compared to the Hans Dampfs I run now! :lol: You'll be fine running them on your epic.
  • RRs and NNs are pretty average on the claimed size stakes, (about right for what you'd expect of the stated size) - Fairly similar to a race king and mountain king respectively - A RR should fit the Epic fine.

(The HDs blow up looking on the big side but realistically are somewhere between a 2.2 and a 2.4 rubber queen. A 2.4 RQ is the biggest tyre I've ever used yet conti were always infamous for tyres that blew up quite narrow.... So even tyres from the same manufacturer can seemingly vary depending on the volume and intended use of the tyre).
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    2.25"s will be fine on an Epic.
  • Cheers chaps... I went with what I know in the end and got some black chilli mountain king mk2 protections as they were pretty cheap.

I like my cheap and basic mk's so figured I'd go with more of the same, but in a better compound.