Marmotte/Maratona 2014

Very disappointed.

Marmotte Sat July 5th 2014
Maratona Sun July 6th 2014

I was going to do Maratona, but that weekend I am going to be safely at home in Yorkshire.

Roll on 2015!!!

I just need to find something different for next year....
Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    That's too easy!
    Why not plan on seeing the Tour a few days later in the Marmotte area, and doing a different event thereabouts.

It’s rumoured the Tour will be in the Alps on the weekend of 18-20 July, arriving at Chamrousee, just south of Grenoble on 18 July, riding over the Izouard on 19 July, and leaving the area from Tallard, near Gap, on 20 July.

So go to watch it there as well as in Yorkshire, and while thereabouts do:
    ... either the La Madeleine cyclosportive. Two routes:103 km/3180 m or 137 km/4320 m. The difference between the two routes is that you ride the Madeleine, from the south, either once and the top third again, or you ride it fully twice
    ... or the Brеvеt dе Rаndоnnеur dеs Alpеs. Two routes: 225 km/4650 m or 232 km/5125 m. This isn’t a timed race but there are cut-off times at places along the route. And it does include the Croix-de-Fer and the Galibier, like the Marmotte does

If these events are the same weekend in 2014 as this year, they will be the weekend the Tour is in the Alps. You just have to then plan well where you’ll be on which days.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Those other sportives sound good.

There are just a few personal factors that affect my choices.

1. There is no way that I am missing Le Grand Depart. Thats a one in a lifetime opportunity.
    2. The family holiday starts the last week of July.
    3. I have unfinished business with the Maratona and in particular the Passo Giau. I was really hoping that it was going to be the week before. That would have made for a perfect fortnight.

Anyway, I thought the info would be useful for others too.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Won't the 2014 Tour route be clock-wise this year as opposed to last years anti-clockwise.... therefore they will hit the Alps earlier in July and The Pyrennees towards the end i.e. 18th - 20th ?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Won't the 2014 Tour route be clock-wise this year as opposed to last years anti-clockwise.... therefore they will hit the Alps earlier in July and The Pyrennees towards the end i.e. 18th - 20th ?
    It wasn’t really a circle this year where one could say the whole Tour was clockwise or anticlockwise. It did the Pyrenees in clockwise fashion but then the Alps in anticlockwise fashion.
    Eitherway, since it did the Pyrenees before the Alps this year, so next year it’ll be the reverse. Rumoured dates for the Alps are 18-20 July and for the Pyrenees 22-24 July.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    alanp23 wrote:
    Those other sportives sound good.

There are just a few personal factors that affect my choices.

1. There is no way that I am missing Le Grand Depart. Thats a one in a lifetime opportunity.
    2. The family holiday starts the last week of July.
    3. I have unfinished business with the Maratona and in particular the Passo Giau. I was really hoping that it was going to be the week before. That would have made for a perfect fortnight.

Anyway, I thought the info would be useful for others too.

Just go over there and ride it the week before anyway. You don't need to wait until there is an event to ride in these places. It'll be far less busy.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Do any folks here know where it may be possible to get hold of a cancellation ticket for the Maratona this year? I tried for the last charity entry places a couple of weeks back but UK internet connection (more likely my office bandwidth!) wasn't exactly poised for a sprint finish - by the time I'd connected all tickets were gone!

I have a few friends who managed to get in this year and I'd love to make it across. Any leads would be much appreciated.

Peter
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi Northpole, I'm going to try and send you a direct message with an email that should be worth a try :D

If you don't get it re-post on here and I'll try another method 8)
  • northpole
    Dave

PM received thanks very much. I'll ping an email tomorrow and see if that gets me anywhere - fingers and all other digits crossed! Thanks again.

Peter
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    No Probs, good luck :wink:
  • northpole
    Many thanks to 3Pears - your suggestion came good yesterday - within an hour of having place on Etape de Yorkshire confirmed also. I'd best get training! Thanks again.

Peter