Advice for Carbon frame bike for beginner

biswasg
biswasg Posts: 9
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I want to move from a hybrid bike to a road bike. I am a beginner and would like to do around 50km on weekends.
I have been reading and searching for a road bike with carbon frame and 105 gearset.

I live in Swizerland and some of the bikes I have seen are Scott CR1, Dolce Bergamont, Trek Domane 4.5. Any suggestions and advice would be helpful.

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Looks like the budget is in the right place. The Trek is well regarded as a comfortable ride, but another you may consider is the Giant Defy Composite 2. The new 2014 one has 105 now.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Strange that mikey should recommend Giant, wonder why, personally I'd say you can't go wrong with the Scott CR1.
  • Mikey41
    Well yeah ;) but it's worth considering.

The correct answer is of course, come up with a shortlist of bikes, test ride each one and buy the one you like best. Choose on how they ride and how they fit you. If you are in between two frame sizes, go for the smaller one.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Dear Mikey and Micky, Thanks for your suggestions. Presently, I seem to be inclined on the Trek Domane 4.5 which is being offered at a 25%discounted price for the 2013 version. I have one question though, can a fender/mudguard be attached (for general commuting)?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    TBH I'd keep the Hybrid for commuting when you'd need mudguards.
    Main reason being the wear on the groupset. Wet roads kick up a lot of rubbish and that will wear down the groupset more quickly - I would think it more prudent to do that on a cheaper bike/groupset.
  • Mikey41
    biswasg wrote:
    Dear Mikey and Micky, Thanks for your suggestions. Presently, I seem to be inclined on the Trek Domane 4.5 which is being offered at a 25%discounted price for the 2013 version. I have one question though, can a fender/mudguard be attached (for general commuting)?
    It depends how much clearance there is between the top of the tyre and the brakes. If there is 5mm or more, then Crud Roadracer 2's should fit. These work well and have a shield on the rear one that keeps muck off the front mech.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Whereabouts are you seeing the Domane 4.5 with 25% off? The best I have seen is £300 off at Cyclesurgery - was just abut to place an order...
  • PercyP3 wrote:
    Whereabouts are you seeing the Domane 4.5 with 25% off? The best I have seen is £300 off at Cyclesurgery - was just abut to place an order...

At Veloland, Geneva in Swittzerland. http://www.velolandgeneve.ch/site/fr/
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I know you're in Suisse, but try Dolan bikes: they've got a Carbon jobbie going for about a grand (UK£) at the moment

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • All those are going to be excellent bikes. I ride a Scott CR1 but I would tend towards the Domane 4.5 from that list.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    biswasg wrote:
    PercyP3 wrote:
    Whereabouts are you seeing the Domane 4.5 with 25% off? The best I have seen is £300 off at Cyclesurgery - was just abut to place an order...

At Veloland, Geneva in Swittzerland. http://www.velolandgeneve.ch/site/fr/

If it fit right go for it
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I finally bought a second-hand BMC Street Racer SR02 in very good condition at a reasonable price (I guess).
    The carbon frame will have to wait once I overgrow this very elegant looking aluminium frame bike.
  • Have a look at Ribble bikes. Loads of options around a grand. They ship to Switzerland.