David Veilleux retires

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited September 2013 in Pro race
Only 25, decided he wants to study after doing all he wanted to do in pro cycling.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-veilleux-announces-his-retirement

Fair play to him, but I wonder how many of us are thinking that maybe his talent was therefore a bit wasted! :oops:

apologies if this is a duplicate thread, not seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Comments

• wow thats a massive surprise. Great mid season. Lots of wannabe's with half his talent :?:
  • I like cycling but there is no way on earth I ever wish I was a pro cyclist.

Sounds like he's about the only bloke in the pro peleton with any sense of perspective. Five years out who's to say he couldn't come back anyway.

Can't imagine the peleton is a particularly intellectually stimulating experience either.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    What a waste. I'd cut my d*ck off with a rusty razor blade to be paid to ride my bike and out training all day instead of stuck in an office infront of a drawing board.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    What a waste. I'd cut my d*ck off with a rusty razor blade to be paid to ride my bike and out training all day instead of stuck in an office infront of a drawing board.

Really? Spending 5 hours a day 6 days a week on a bike, the other 19 hours a day spent completely knackered is 'fun'?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Overlord2 wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Really? Spending 5 hours a day 6 days a week on a bike, the other 19 hours a day spent completely knackered is 'fun'?
    I don't know about you, but it's the missing d*ck that would be the deal breaker for me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Overlord2 wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

A lot more fun than studying for an engineering degree then doing a boring 9 to 5 job for the next 45 years, in my opinion anyway. I wonder if he's got a nutter Mrs who doesn't like him being away from home most of the year and doesn't support his cycling - for a lad his age to make the comment about 'starting a family' would suggest as much.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    trek_dan wrote:
    Overlord2 wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

A lot more fun than studying for an engineering degree then doing a boring 9 to 5 job for the next 45 years, in my opinion anyway. I wonder if he's got a nutter Mrs who doesn't like him being away from home most of the year and doesn't support his cycling - for a lad his age to make the comment about 'starting a family' would suggest as much.

Maybe he's seen how messed up a lot of pro-sportsmen get and said no thanks. And who's to say he doesn't want to start a family?

I wish him luck.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Overlord2 wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

I'd wager he'd earn more money being a good engineer than been an average pro (which he is). Seems like he is a young, very clever guy with mature attitude which is rare these days
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Maybe he just got tired of constant travelling and being away from home, eating weird stuff all the time etc and just wanted a 'normal' life with his mates/girlfriend? Or maybe 'i want to study' is code for 'i want to go to uni like everyone else and get wasted a lot and sleep around and have some fun'.