Wellgo V8 Copy Pedals

spacedog
spacedog Posts: 97
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I'm refreshing a second hand bike for a friend and they needed some cheep flat pedals for tow paths, cycle lanes etc...

So ordered a pair of Wellgo V8 Copy Flat pedals from CRC. They have just turned up and the axles are really stiff and rough. I'm not expecting supper smooth and free running for £13 but I'm expecting them be similar to the Shimano 520s that I use.

Should they go back?

Are they going to be rubbish for £13?

Do we need to spend more money to get some pedals worth using?

Thankss

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds about right they will smoothen up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Spacedog wrote:
    So ordered a pair of Wellgo V8 Copy Flat pedals from CRC. They have just turned up and the axles are really stiff and rough.

I have these, and when new the bearings did feel very stiff and tight, but it's not noticable on the bike and you'll find after your first ride, they'll loosen up a a bit. Been running them now for best part of a year in some pretty filthy conditions and with next to no maintenance and they're still absolutely fine.
  • On the last two pairs I bought the pedal has got smashed before the bearing failed.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tell it to lay off the booze then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    Got a pair on my 29er. They're not as smooth and free spinning as real v8's but what do you expect for half the money. But as said above they loosen up with use and when pedaling is barely noticeable.
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • Thanks all. Will stick them on the bike and see how they go.