£750 new road bike recommendations

vermin
vermin Posts: 1,739
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Please forgive the tedious thread. Up to £750 to spend on a bike. Lots of bargains around. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    What type of bike and for what kind of riding? What other bikes do you have and where does the new bike fit in?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    --
    Chris

• vermin
    Ah, it's not for me. First proper road bike for a 6ft male is the brief. The default would be something like an Allez, but after other suggestions. That's a good price for an equilibrium, btw.
  • sketchley
    Equalibrium is good first road bike.......

You might want to shop around, given the 2014 is just coming out, you might find a good price on a 2013 10 model which mean Carbon Fork instead of steel and Tiagra 10 speed instead of Sora 9 speed IIRC....
    --
    Chris

• Cube Peleton for less than £750
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Has to be new? I'm considering upgrading my Boardman Team Carbon...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vermin
    dhope wrote:

Hmm ... don't know.
    Pm me.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    CAAD 8 Tiagra at Edinburgh Co-op

58 only £750
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • vermin
    rubertoe wrote:
    CAAD 8 Tiagra at Edinburgh Co-op

58 only £750

It's on the list, cheers!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My first road bike was an Allez... doing it all over again it would be a Ribble Audax.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    vermin wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Hmm ... don't know.
    Pm me.
    My Comtat is up for sale in the sale section on here. Go 2nd hand, work out if he likes it and then either stick with or sell on for the same cash and invest in a decent bike.

If its got to be new, Boardman is good and a lot of bang for your buck. He'll be getting an alu frame and Sora (possibly Tiagra) componentry at that price point.Step up to a grand and you'll be in reach of some much nicer bikes.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    +1 for Cube Peloton. Mate of mine has one and it's good value. He just started out last year and earlier this year bought a Focus Izalco so now uses his as a wet weather/turbo bike. Still, he did a lot of research and it's a very good start up. That said, I'd go for Wrath Rob's Comtat - bargain!
  • For £750, I'm very much in the 2nd hand club! There are some fab bikes out there for that money. I picked up a Focus Cayo in perfect condition with several upgrades including carbon bars, Selle Italia saddle, pedals, 2 carbon cages and Shimano 105 - for £700.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Giant Defy would be worth a look.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    If you go brand new...

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -2013.html

I have one - great value for money. Finish of the frame is amazing. Only issue is some toe overlap (which I've never had before, but is common, and you get used to it).

Very happy with it so far :)
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    If I was buying and had £750 to spend I think I'd be on the Ribble bikebuilder site to see what I could get. I don't have a Ribble, but I see a lot of them around, they're good value and they seem to get good reviews.