boardman pro ht creaking bottom bracket

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited September 2013 in MTB general
yep had it a month and the old halford problem of the creaking bottom bracket has started . really should take it back to Halfords but I know it will take several goes before the muppetts get it right . so off to the lbs who told me it needs greasing and retensioning . shame they didn't do that in the first place .

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep had it a month and the old halford problem of the creaking bottom bracket has started .
    err what has that got to do with Halfords?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Being a boardman i'd guess he bought it from there, they should fix it but he knows the spotty 17yr old tech will mess it up.

Possibily.
  • nicklouse
    Being a boardman i'd guess he bought it from there, they should fix it but he knows the spotty 17yr old tech will mess it up.

Possibily.
    nope. read what he has wrtien he is blaming Halfords for the assembly done in Taiwan or wherever it was assembled. (which is not Halfords).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Merida - made in the same factory by the same people who make Specialized.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nope, I disagree.

Looks like his concern is their inability to fix a problem which has developed after a month.

I doubt the OP would expect Halfords staff to have crystal balls...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, I disagree.

Looks like his concern is their inability to fix a problem which has developed after a month.

I doubt the OP would expect Halfords staff to have crystal balls...
    Comprehension is obviously not your strong point.
    He hasn't given Halfords a chance to sort it out, just had a whinge about what he assumes would happen if he did.
    All bikes need a bit of adjusting after a while as things bed in.
    And if it has cartridge bearings, which I assume it has, short of peeling off the seals you can't grease them anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • So assumption is yours...?

Assuming he has used them in the past and as a result of that he not willing to let them loose on his bike again.

I know I wouldn't let them near mine.

If I wanted some underbody neons or other pointless tat for my car, I'd accept their advice with gusto.
  • cooldad
    So assumption is yours...?

Assuming he has used them in the past and as a result of that he not willing to let them loose on his bike again.

If I wanted some underbody neons or other pointless tat for my car, I'd accept their advice with gusto.

No I am making an educated guess that it has cartridge bearings in the BB. You are just spouting random word salad.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    So assumption is yours...?

No I am making an educated guess that it has cartridge bearings in the BB. You are just spouting random word salad.
    it has BB30.

and it is known issue and there is bugger all you can do.

one of the worst implemented standards so far.
  • cooldad wrote:

But the original post is not asking what it wrong, he's making a point, rightly or wrongly, about his mistrust in getting Halfords to rectify an issue.

Which I agree with.

Just because someones opinion is different from yours, it doesn't make it any less valid. :roll:

But anyways, 'Random Word Salad', I'm gonna steal that. 8)
  • I don't get why everyone assumes that all halfords mechanics are useless. The mechanic in my local branch is much better than the idiot (owners son) iin my local independent shop.
  • cooldad
    I actually like Halfords. Cheap, stock loads of stuff.
    I work on my own bikes (and cars where I can) so I've never needed them to work on anything, but I buy stuff there, and the staff have always been friendly and helpful when I've needed it, which is normally just aiming me at the right aisle.
    Maybe it's because I'm a nice person who says please and thank you and smiles at people.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Never had a problem in my dealings with halfords either , as Cooldad says courtesy works wonders. Go in all guns blazing at the so called spotty oiks and I would expect them to behave in a similar fashion . I believe some bb30 Boardmans left the factory inadequately greased but certainly not all.
  • . I believe some bb30 Boardmans left the factory inadequately greased but certainly not all.

This is correct. It was much more apparent with the BB30s we had in the bikes last year but the issue still does exist now unfortunately. I've encountered it a about a dozen times in the last two years and it's usually sorted by disassembling the BB, re-greasing, and re-assembling. If that doesn't sort it, I order in a new BB30 bearing assembly and replace it under warranty, simples.

If the OP hasn't had a good experience with Halfords in the past fair enough, but he certainly should not 'assume' they cannot sort the issue. I just hope he has the tools and knowledge to do it himself, as if he goes to an LBS to get the work done, he will risk voiding his warranty with Halfords all together.

My advice to OP is to go into your local Halfords store and speak face to face with the mechanic to find out how experienced they are (unfortunately due to no 'in house' training being provided, the mechanics will differ in expertise from store to store) . They should be able to sort the problem fairly quickly and replace the bearings if necessary.
  • well im the op . when I picked up the bike from Halfords , even thou they had a week the bars hadn't been turned and the guy dealing with me had to get help to turn them ! got home service check book hadn't been stamped . Halfords is 20 miles away and the lbs is 2 miles away . my friend who is a trusted mechanic and worked at the shop for 10 years will do a better job than some oik on minimum wage . cant see how getting an independent shop to look at it can effect the warranty ?
  • cooldad
    OK.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yawn, there is a reason for the stereotype of bad service at Halfords.
  • nicklouse
    well im the op . when I picked up the bike from Halfords , even thou they had a week the bars hadn't been turned and the guy dealing with me had to get help to turn them ! got home service check book hadn't been stamped . Halfords is 20 miles away and the lbs is 2 miles away . my friend who is a trusted mechanic and worked at the shop for 10 years will do a better job than some oik on minimum wage . cant see how getting an independent shop to look at it can effect the warranty ?
    easily.

read the small print.