new cassette fitted: is this correct?

n12ksb
n12ksb Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi im new to this and I have a bit of an armature question.
I just fitted a new cassette, I have tightened it and everything works perfectly however there is a gap between the rear of the cassette and the hub.
You can see the keyways on the hub as the gap is arround 5mm
Does this sound right?
Is all tight and there is no unwanted movement it just didnt look right from memory.
Any thoughts?
Thanks all

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doesn't sound right. Picture would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Some can look like the splines are showing. But it is not actually part of the freebody splines just the end if the machine runs.

But pics would help as would cassette make model and hub info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Im sorry I have been trying to add a photo as I took one that shows exactly what I mean.
    Problem is Im using my phone and it wont seem to upload the damn photo!
    I could email if any use?
    Thanks again
  • It is a nukeproof hub and a shimano 9 speed cassette.
    Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    See FAQs up there >>>>>^^^^^^ for how to post pics.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have added a pic showing this...still didn't find out how to do this from the phone.
    I have just noticed the section of the splines / keyways showing on the hub have a radius and looks as though the cogs are in fact sitting as far back as possible....its just still concerning me that there is a gap there.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks normal to me. take the cassette off and i think you will see that they are not part of the splines.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • That is correct.
    That's how my NP freehub looks as Nicklouse said it's the end of the machine runs.
    You could fit a spoke protector to fill the gap but a lot of people have aesthetic issues and a certain stigma attached to plastic dinner plates between cassette and spokes ;)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, no problem, as you were!
  • Thanks thats great news.
    Cheers for the help fellas!