Specialized Allez Sport

Colinthecop
Colinthecop Posts: 996
edited May 2014 in Your road bikes
Hello, I'm new and this is my first post. I'm about to ask some probably stupid questions in the Workshop section so I though it'd be polite to say Hello first.

I recently bought an 2011 Specialized Allez Sport. I own an FSR Pro which I like so I thought i'd display some brand loyalty.

In keeping with the OCP requirements, this is my bike,

aoaq.jpg

I made the mistake of buying it unseen from Ebay. It was described as 'Pristine', although my opinion of pristine is not something that looks like it was owned by a rider who has now quit after being knocked off his bike for the 16th time.

But it's mine so I guess i'll grow to love it like one of my children.... Although i'm hoping it won't be as expensive as one of them.

Comments

• Bugger, didn't see the 'Layout Template' suggestions so that's a bit of a schoolboy error.

But I think it's all pretty standard. Apart from my Mini Wedgie, A trek i8 and some cheap bottle cages.

And my SPD Shimano pedals.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As long as there is no sign of serious damage I wouldn't worry, bring on the workshop questions :)
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069

But it's mine so I guess i'll grow to love it like one of my children.... Although i'm hoping it won't be as expensive as one of them.

prepare to spend money like you've never before done...it starts with a nice "little" upgrade and before you know it you need a second mortgage :oops:
    enjoy and welcome :D
  • the allez bikes are great. Looks nice, although that's not a 2011 model.

http://www.specialized.co.uk/us/en/bike ... ortcompact

definitely a 2010 model, not that it matters but thoughts i'd mention it
  • Ah right, cheers for that.

I'll add that to the list of half-truths from the seller. :shock:
  • Add it but ignore it, these bikes are fantastic, just get yourself out and find out how much fun they can be... look after it and you'll know you made the right decision to buy it :)
  • Hopefully i'm not sounding overly bitter.... :roll:

I'm loving my bike and really miss days when I don't get out on it.
  • Hopefully i'm not sounding overly bitter.... :roll:

you sound like me, my mate misses his girlfriend, i miss being out on my bike. I genuinely enjoy spending me time out on it and i enjoy making time to give my bike a thorough clean. Non cyclists will never understand this logic haha
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The Allez is a fantastic bit of kit - I've got the base model one (for sale) from 2011. Loved riding it - don't really want to part with it, but it's not likely to get ridden. I replaced it with a 2nd hand carbon Tarmac - same vintage, same geometry.

Have fun on it - bangs and scrapes may not be yours - but I expect you'll add a couple! ;)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The Allez is a great bike, still have mine for wet weather, looking out the window tonight it's going to get lots of use again :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • turnerjohn wrote:
    prepare to spend money like you've never before done...it starts with a nice "little" upgrade and before you know it you need a second mortgage :oops:
    enjoy and welcome :D

Can vouch for this. I've got the same bike (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12939384) and started with nothing more than upgrading the tyres. Eight months later I find I have a platinum discount on Wiggle (and some) and no idea how it has happened!
  • Colinthecop
    8 months later I find myself a gold Wiggle account holder.

And today the postie brought me this,

10325423_10152199054154580_8653079919142916828_n.jpg

It truely is a thing of beauty but I cant help wondering if a heroin addiction would have been cheaper. :oops:
  • slowbike
    you timed that wrong - could've taken a few minutes off your Etape time with that !! ;)
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Are you going to be putting Sora parts onto a S-works carbon frame or have you upgraded your groupset too?

I've got a 2013 Allez Sport, and I can't imagine upgrading the frameset currently, but I am considering heading towards a 105 upgrade.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Colinthecop
    Crikey No, I couldn't put my Allez bits onto such a gorgeous frame....

I'll be buying new wheels and groupset for it, once the wife calms down. :roll:
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Crikey No, I couldn't put my Allez bits onto such a gorgeous frame....

I'll be buying new wheels and groupset for it, once the wife calms down. :roll:

Serious kit, chapeau sir. Can I recommend aquisition of parts by stealth that are delivered to a trusted address other than your home.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    What was your reason for upgrading in the end?
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Lancew wrote:

My guess is...It's shiny,newer and red is quicker? :D
  • Colinthecop
    Lancew wrote:

I don't know to be honest, I just liked it and wanted it. Being an old model it was affordable too. As much as i'd lke the latest SL4 there is no way I could justify that sort of outlay.

I'm gonna start commuting on my Allez so wanted a nice bike for my days off.

And of course the 3 reasons above. :lol:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    What benefits being a gold account holder??
  • Colinthecop
    Money off your bill, not sure how much at, a guess 5%. If you become a Platinum account holder you get a larger percentage off.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Isn't the platinum discount the same as you get if you're a member of British Cycling? (I don't actually know)

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/memst-landing-Save-on-Wiggle-0
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Colin, are you not better just getting all the bits you need right now whilst the missus is in a huff, so she just has one huff to get over rather than several seperate huffs when the groupset arrives, and then the wheels?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Colin, are you not better just getting all the bits you need right now whilst the missus is in a huff, so she just has one huff to get over rather than several seperate huffs when the groupset arrives, and then the wheels?

This.

Empty the life bank all in one go :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • slowbike
    Oh how glad I am that my better half is into cycling too ... although it does mean I have double the amount of bikes to keep clean & maintained and buy spare bits for ... small price to pay!
  • Colinthecop
    nweststeyn wrote:

A cunning plan, but my secret squirrel account is currently empty. Had a lads Snowboarding holiday in Les Deux Alpes in February.

If I was to use the joint account it'd be the spare room for me. :oops:
  • slowbike
    If I was to use the joint account it'd be the spare room for me. :oops:

Excellent - then you can get the frame and parts in there to build up too .... you have got a stand for maintenance haven't you? :D
  • Colinthecop
    Yes, I do - I like your thinking....

8)
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    MrJoe23 wrote:
    Hopefully i'm not sounding overly bitter.... :roll:

you sound like me, my mate misses his girlfriend, i miss being out on my bike. I genuinely enjoy spending me time out on it and i enjoy making time to give my bike a thorough clean. Non cyclists will never understand this logic haha

+1 for this!

I love my Allez. I bought a second hand frame from 2009 and but it up to a decent spec to last me a few years, still going strong. I love that I can knock it about a bit though without being too worried. Had a few close encounters with Tarmac in the past few years.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group