Looking for a Hybrid Bike

moppy
moppy Posts: 5
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping for some advice on which bikes are worth a look at for me.I am currently using a 2nd hand old Carrera Vulcan no suspension bike, with semi slick tyres fitted. Howeevr it is a little too big (even after fitting a shorter stem).
My work is currently running a Cycle to work scheme through Halfords, (although they may be able to provide non Halfords brands also).

The Majority of my riding will be on Roads or packed paths,cycle paths (up and down kerbs), however there will occasionally be some rougher stuff but in shorter stints (on loose gravel,cobbles,over farm fields etc nothing major like mountain bike/downhill biking)

I also plan on doing the odd overnighter/mini tour (taking tent etc on bike).

I was thinking 700c wheels probably best, not bothered about suspension or disc brakes. Do not like twist grip changers.
So far I have looked at the Halfords stocked bikes.
The Carrera Gryphon looks decent, but the wheels look more like road bike, and think they would be too flimsy for the odd rough stuff/up and downs kerbs.
I have also been looking at the Carrera Crossfire, and the Carrera Subway (Ltd edition, winter edition, normal edition etc) the Subways all come with 26" wheels, some with Nobblies, some with semi's.
There is also the Voodoo Marasa, which looks a lot chunkier, although weighs similar to the crossfire.

There a very few LBS near me, so had to look online for non Halfords stock. How would I identify the wheels types (narrow Road bikes or bigger MTB) from the desciption? Can anyone suggest any other decent bikes, or things to look out for.

I was looking to pay at most £350 for bike (+extra for racks etc)

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think the Marasa ticks all the boxes - tough, capable, adaptable.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Note the rear disc position of the Marasa and compare to Boardman hybrid which works better with rack and mudguards.
  • The board man has narrow road wheels too.
    I can get any other make not just. Halfords
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know two happy Marasa owners....

One uses 32mm road tyres for longer road runs and swaps back to the hybrid tyres for off road jaunts.

You can get perfectly good racks to cope with seatstay mounted calipers, I have had one on my Gryphon for 4 years carrting about 6Kg and bunnyhopping speed bumps with no problems!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have been lookin at the boardman mx race for £500, has narrow tyres, but on a wider non race bike bike style rims. Is a little bit more, but looks to be pretty decent. Anyone have opinions on this one?
  • The Rookie
    Not a bad option, but unless you want the suspension fork badly (it is at least a properlt damped fork) the Voodoo Marasa is a better value for money option as it has better brakes and is quite a lot cheaper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I prefer the geometry of the mx, and the narrower tyres (without being road bike wheels narrow) are swinging it for me, plus it is a cycle to work, so means about £10 per month more, rather then the big difference up front. The suspension is a bonus.
  • The Rookie
    The suspension is only a bonus if you need it, otherwise it is ballast, personally I'd get the cheaper Voodoo and fit decent tyres making it lighter and faster for less money (the stock tyres are only 8mm wider than the MX's) it has the same wheels and hydraulic brakes , however if you think you will need the suspension the MX isn't a bad buy at all.