Saddle wear

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

I've started to notice that the saddle is showing signs of wear, about two-three inches back from the 'nose' where it once was black, its starting to go white. Is this normal? Or is it a sign that maybe I need to tilt the saddle downwards slightly? I'm not having any discomfort from the saddle position, just wondered if its a sign its not quite in the right place?

I've only done about 600miles on it...seems a bit odd it should be wearing already?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Could it be the dye rubbing off ? Friction and all that :) or sweat marks maybe.
  • diamonddog - yes, i suspect its just the colouring/dye rubbing off, but it still seems to me to suggest that i'm constantly rubbing against it, possibly more than I should?? Or is it to be expected.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    None of mine have ever done it, but if you enjoy it keep rubbing :)
    You could try some leather dye (the one that soaks in not the paint on variety) and polish it up after it's dry, but it could stain your riding shorts and if it got wet it could still come off.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're comfortable I wouldn't go messing with your saddle position just because of some cosmetic colour change.
  • Like Keef says if it aint broken don't fix it, was it a fairly cheap saddle? could be dye wearing off
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Giant Defy saddle?

Colour on mine wore off just the same. The saddle itself wasn't damaged, just the colour.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Well Mikey41 has identified which saddle I have without any clues other than that the colour is wearing off - so I guess its just an issue with the dye/material used. Wont go changing a thing then! :)
  • Mikey41
    I remembered you got a Defy. :)

Yours will be looking like this now:
    9723908043_f0a973d7d6_z.jpg
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mine is exactly the same saddle and exactly the same wear! Just wish it was a little more worn as that would mean i would have had more time on the bike, but hey ho!
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    I remembered you got a Defy. :)

Yours will be looking like this now:
    9723908043_f0a973d7d6_z.jpg

Well remembered then!! :)

Yeah, it looks pretty much like that, although it hasn't started wearing at the back...yet. Oh, and mine has a bike underneath it!! :wink:
  • Mikey41
    When I got to the 60 mile point, I fell out with it. There's a charge Spoon on there now, that I am rubbing the lettering off of. :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava