SS conversion back to 1 x 9/10

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My son has a home-built On One Inbred SS bike. We're off to the Lakes in a couple of weeks, so will need to put gears back on, but will only have a single up front.

Never had mech / cassette / shifter specifically for this bike; we built it as SS from the outset.

Money is VERY tight, and we're only looking at a conversion for the Lakes; after that, it'll most likely go back to SS, so I don't want to spend anything, even on second hand stuff, if I can avoid it.

Couple of options open to me:

1. Borrow the cassette, mech and gear shifter from my wife's Carerra Fury (SRAM x3/x5 10sp set up) and transfer this across. However, I'm assuming the freehub on the wheel I''ve got was originally from an 8/9sp cassette .. is that compatible with a 10sp cassette, or does a 10sp come with a specific (wider) freehub?

2. Borrow a mate's 9sp cassette/mech/shifter - would be easier, and presumably compatible, but its all XT kit ... and if my son breaks it, it will be expensive for me to replace!

Also, the front chainring is just the middle chainring fora triple set-up. I don't know if it was for 9sp or 10sp. Are triple chainwheels 9sp / 10sp specific, or will either a 9sp / 10sp chain work equally well?

Thanks

I

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1- 8/9/10 hubs are the same
    2- sure

does not matter.

remember 10 and 9 speed shifters and mechs are not mixable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Nicklouse - just the info I needed.

Wasn't planning to mix 9/10sp mech and shifters .. its either one or the other. Now that I know the hub and chainring will work with either, will probably borrow the wife's bits! :wink: