Nose Weight

gooner71
gooner71 Posts: 19
edited September 2013 in MTB general
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of buying a BUZZ RACK 'Buzz Quattro' 4 bike tow bar mounted carrier. Apparently I need to take into account the nose weight of the car, which is a Toyota Corolla Verso, rated at 55KG.

Give the Buzz Rack is 15KG, this wouldn't leave much for the weight of the bikes.

I'd be carrying 2 adult mtbs and 2 kids 20 inch mtbs.

Should I worry about the total weight or is there a lot of slack in the nose weight limit?

Comments

• I would say you just need to bear in mind what the weight of 4 bikes will do flung out beyond the rear axle. You may need to adjust your headlights to avoid them aiming too high, but thats either automatic or a switch on the dash, and the weight distribution will be slightly off with less of it over the wheels doing most of the braking - but considering that you'll have a load of passengers in the car anyway you'll have more weight over those than driving around on your tod so nowt to worry about.

Disclaimer : if your car explodes in a fireball at 55.1kg on the rack I cannot be held responsible.
  • To be honest, it'll probably within the weight limit due to the smaller kids bikes but even if its borderline I'd just take a little extra caution driving due to the extra weight on the back of the car, people tow caravans with cars of that size....
  • My two kids' bikes (14" and 24") both weigh more than my full sus - 27lb and 33lb. I think you will be way over the nose weight, and I don't think it's a good idea at all.

I was looking at this very rack, because it seemed like the best option for four bikes, for a platform type carrier. But I rejected it because it's pretty heavy, and my car's nose weight was 75kg! I think you'd be better off looking at a roof option.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Limits on roof racks are usually more stringent than off the back on a tow bar.....

One thing is for sure - if you have an accident and someone gets hurt or worse then you can be sure the insurance company are not going to want to know if you are over the nose weight. The police might though......
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    A four bike carrier like that is more suited a 4x4 or van, unless you have some very lightweight bikes you are looking at being 15kg+ over weight
  • Good point about the insurance.

I looked up the weight of the bikes. The kids are 10.3kg each, so 20.6kg
    Mine is 12.7kg
    The wife's is 15kg

So total weight is 48.3kg plus the bike rack (15kg) so therefore 63.3

Nose weight of the car is 55kg (tbc by toyota)

So I'm 8.3 kg over, or a men's bowling ball. This doesn't sound like a lot but I'm interested in your opinions on whether this is material in terms of driving safety and whether it would be illegal or invalidate my insurance.

Thanks
  • The reason I'm pushing this is that we need a roof-box on the roof when we go camping, ideally plus canoe and therefore can't take the four bikes without a rear mounted option.

From a performance perspective, I'd imagine 55kg of roofbox would alter the nose weight of the car anyway!
  • Toyota have confirmed that the nose weight is actually 52kg on the car. It's even worse!
  • gooner71 wrote:
    The reason I'm pushing this is that we need a roof-box on the roof when we go camping, ideally plus canoe and therefore can't take the four bikes without a rear mounted option.

You sir, need a bigger car.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • It's a 7 seater!!! ;)
  • Roof box and a canoe? the roof weight limits are probably going to be a restriction too.. most cars are ~70kg roof weight limits.
  • I might buy a second hand coach.
  • WindyG
    This is why I have a Navara we have a 3 bike Buzzrack for the towbar plus can still carry on the roof or lob one in the back and plenty of space left for holiday luggage too plus the advantage of 4x4 when needed which has happened at muddy trails.
  • My experience with the same 4 bike rack on different cars is:

Mitsubishi L200 - barely noticeable
    Jeep Grand Cherokee - slightly noticeable
    Citroen C Crosser - steering much lighter and wobbly

All of these have a nose weight limit of ~100kg

Keep the heavier bikes closer to the car. The further out the bikes are mounted the more downward force they generate as the bike rack acts a big lever on the back of the car. Depending on the geometry of the car, towbar and rack, a 15kg bike on the furthest out rack might generate a force equivalent to 30 kg. (4 x 15kg bikes might end up generating a force equivalent to 90Kg Not 60kg!)

A big roof rack seems to improve things - adding 3 kids in the back seats makes it worse.
  • gooner71 wrote:
    opinions on whether this is material in terms of driving safety and whether it would be illegal or invalidate my insurance.

Thanks

Two different things, but insurers will go to the ends of the earth to avoid paying out if given even the most tenuous infringement of your policy to work with. In the event of a third party being hurt then they'll still be obliged to pay the third party damages, but then they'll come after you for the money (which could be tens or hundreds of thousands...) and you'll be looking at losing everything and bankruptcy.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    gooner71 wrote:
    So I'm 8.3 kg over, or a men's bowling ball.
    So, if you attach the bowling ball to the front bumper, will that solve the problem...?
    WindyG wrote:
    This is why I have a Navara...
    I have just bought myself a Navara but I dont have a towbar fitted. I was intending to carry (hopefully) four bikes in the back but I'm finding that off-the-shelf truck bed racks are few and those there are do not inspire confidence. I guess I'll have to speak nicely to the welding expert at work.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • WindyG
    Just fit a towbar, Navs are very easy, plug and play electrics and about 10 bolts to do, I did mine for less than £150. For bed mounts custom made is the only way or fit to a mountain top with rails.
  • Could you fit the smallest bike in the boot?
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.