Upgrading a Crankset

rhysbeddoe
rhysbeddoe Posts: 5
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

I was thinking of changing the Cranks on my current bike as the ones i have are pretty heavy (FSA Omega MegaExo) for something a little lighter.

I was wondering if i would notice any difference in a lighter model, also i run Campagnolo 10 speed so would i need a Campag compatible crankset or would any do as there seems to be very little info on this

Thanks
Rhys

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    No doubt the correct answer will be that you should look to run a Campagnolo chainset for true compatibility but the reality is that chainsets are not that specific in my experience. I have been recently running a SRAM Apex chainset with a Campag Chorus set-up as it was the only compact chainset that I had available at the time prior to a trip to the Lake District - it worked absolutely fine. I have since replaced it, today in fact, with a Campag Record chainset merely because of the aesthetics.

Will you notice any difference? Probably none at all, so any potential costs would be better off spent elsewhere on the bike!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The only real upgrade for a crankset is to take a faulty one off and fit a functioning one.

Chainsets are essentially the least worthy component for 'upgrade' IME.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Cranks are heavy. Unless you are upgrading to a significantly lighter set (which could admittedly be half a kilo lighter), it's not worth doing. If you were making multiple changes to save weight, it would make sense, but in isolation the saving (particularly a smaller one) is not worth the outlay.