Planet X / Wheelsmith

blinddrew
blinddrew Posts: 317
edited September 2013 in Your road bikes
It's not going to be troubling the UCI's weight limit any time soon but I like it :¬)

Planet+X.jpg

[EDIT] Extra info now added!

Frame: Planet-X Sl Pro Carbon
Forks: Planet-X
Bars: Planet-X Strada
Stem: FSA
Headset: FSA
Bar Tape: Cheap cork-type stuff

Front Brake Lever: Ultegra
Front Caliper: Ultegra
Rear Brake Lever: Ultegra
Rear Caliper: Ultegra

Shifters: Ultegra
Cables: generic
Front Mech: Ultegra
Rear Mech: Ultegra

Seat: Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Pro
Seat Post: Planet X alloy
Seat Post Clamp: Planet X

Cranks: Ultegra
Chainring(s): 50-34
Chain: 105
Cassette: 12-25
Pedals: 105
Bottom Bracket: 105

Front Wheel:
Rim: Gigantex 24mm * 50mm
Spokes: Sapim
Hub: Wheelsmith
Tube: Continental
Tire: Michelin Pro4 Service Course

Back Wheel:
Rim: Gigantex 24mm * 50mm
Spokes: Sapim
Hub: Wheelsmith
Tube: Continental
Tire: Michelin Pro4 Service Course

Accessories: Planet X Carbon bottle cages

Weight: 7.35kg / 16.2 lbs

Other info: As soon as I wheeled it out of the garage after putting the new wheels on it started raining. :¬(
Music, beer, sport, repeat...

Comments

• What image?
  • You can't see the image?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Bike looks nice, I would change the bar tape to black only because it doesn't get grubby. :)
  • I know what you mean. I've always liked the white-tape-black-hoods look but after my chain broke it's been more of a dirty-grey-tape, which isn't so aesthetically appealing. Oh well, I guess I should order some new bar tape, but do I accept the inevitable and switch to black, or stay with the classic white?

These things are important... ;¬)
  • diamonddog
    Fake tan gloves a god send in the back pocket, I keep nicking the wifes and she thinks she uses loads. :)
  • ha! Got a box of latex gloves in the garage but never thought of taking a set with me. Good work!
  • diamonddog
    Bar tape - Black is the new Black. :)

That's quite light especially with the carbon rims, I've seen bikes costing a fair bit more than your bike that weigh a good bit more.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Bar tape - Black is the new Black. :)

I shall bear that in mind!

I was thinking that initially and then I thought about how much it has actually cost me in total and I think it's coming in at about £2k, so it's not sooo cheap :¬)
    A big chunk of that is the wheels though (and I guess included in that total is a reasonable pair of winter wheels as well).
  • diamonddog
    Cervelo S2 with 105 £2400 8kg and BMC race machine Rm01 £3100 with Ultegra slightly heavier 7.47kg so yours comes out OK.
  • blinddrew wrote:
    You can't see the image?

I can now. Very nice. Was on my short list but I went for a Ribble 872 in the end. Coming tomorrow hopefully. Will get some photos done and post when it does.
  • Was on my short list but I went for a Ribble 872 in the end. Coming tomorrow hopefully. Will get some photos done and post when it does.

Got a friend looking at one of them at the moment, lob some photos up when it comes, I'm sure he'd appreciate a proper look :¬)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Nice wheels
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • blinddrew wrote:
    Was on my short list but I went for a Ribble 872 in the end. Coming tomorrow hopefully. Will get some photos done and post when it does.

Got a friend looking at one of them at the moment, lob some photos up when it comes, I'm sure he'd appreciate a proper look :¬)

Will do. Need to learn how to host/post photos as I need to get my previous bike sold as well as showing off my new one!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Smart looking bike, really liking those wheels, think I'll add those to the list when buying my new wheels 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I'll do a proper write up once it's stopped raining long enough for me to get a proper ride in. Hopefully tomorrow.
  • Tell us how you like the wheels also please:)
  • Do Wheelsmith have an 11 speed set up on these hoops yet? :?:
  • Do Wheelsmith have an 11 speed set up on these hoops yet? :?:

Yes indeed.

Full review coming shortly, been out a couple of times but haven't written it up yet.
  • As a couple of people have asked, here's an initial review of the wheels: http://yamdac.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/wh ... eview.html
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    That's a lovely bike and looks fantastic with those wheels.

I've said before that I much prefer the old PX logo (I have the same frame in white so am biased).

I've often drooled over the gorgeous De Rosa and Colnago bikes on here but I would really miss my PX if I didn't have it. (should anyone wish to swap their Protos however I would probably accept...)
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Just out of interest, what size frame? Constantly toying with the thought of one of these as they are meant to be well good like and dirt cheap.
  • Cheer GMB, I'm quite pleased with it, aesthetically and how it rides.

Yossie, that's a medium, I'm about 5'9" but have shortish legs if that helps. Well, it doesn't help me obviously but there you go... ;¬)