Decals make a difference?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Sorry mods if this isn't the right place but I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm trying to sell my cove stiffee frame and I've had NO interest apart from a muppet offering me silly cash.

my question is: is the fact that I've got no decals on there putting people off? should I spend the 20 quid to get some and would it attract more people?

opinions please

p4pb10053316.jpg
«1

Comments

  • I reckon you might be right, I'd say its definitly worth it for £20
  • Might be worth cleaning as well - looks a little gruby
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Might be worth cleaning as well - looks a little gruby

    yeah I did think that after I posted the pic :lol:
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I don't think you'll make that £20 back I reckon it would help sell it though.

    To be honest, I didn't even think it was a bad price, have you listed elsewhere as well as on here?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    anj132 wrote:
    I don't think you'll make that £20 back I reckon it would help sell it though.

    To be honest, I didn't even think it was a bad price, have you listed elsewhere as well as on here?

    me either, I though someone would snap it up tbh :?

    I've got it a few other places for sale as well. the reason I mention decals is that someone said that they didn't believe it was a cove, even though I showed them the embossed Easton logo and the fact that it takes a 30mm seat post - that not many manufacturers use.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's not selling because no postage offered.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Add decals and I'll take it for £20 posted.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    supersonic wrote:
    It's not selling because no postage offered.

    There's no postage offered cos I need to keep this cash away from the gf and we have a joint bank account :lol:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,986
    Did someone say decals?

    viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12838538
    :lol::lol:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Did someone say decals?

    viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12838538
    :lol::lol:

    I didn't read the whole thing, but my decals were gonna be printed on gold leaf and say "millivanilli were framed" too. Guy stole my idea!! :lol:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,986
    welshkev wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Did someone say decals?

    viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12838538
    :lol::lol:

    I didn't read the whole thing, but my decals were gonna be printed on gold leaf and say "millivanilli were framed" too. Guy stole my idea!! :lol:

    Glad you liked it, always nice to resurrect a classic thread.

    Back on topic - if people aren't sure it's a Cove, putting (new) decals on isn't going to make much difference - might even make them more suspicious. Out of idle curiosity (because I can't start another build in the garage), did you remove them to respray?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Did someone say decals?

    viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12838538
    :lol::lol:

    I didn't read the whole thing, but my decals were gonna be printed on gold leaf and say "millivanilli were framed" too. Guy stole my idea!! :lol:

    Glad you liked it, always nice to resurrect a classic thread.

    Back on topic - if people aren't sure it's a Cove, putting (new) decals on isn't going to make much difference - might even make them more suspicious. Out of idle curiosity (because I can't start another build in the garage), did you remove them to respray?

    No, I bought it like that. The guy I bought it off took them off to respray and I liked the 'stealth' look :lol: I ummed and ahed wether to put some on, but never got around to it.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Try post it on the MTB Trader face book group, Seen a few Cove fans on there.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Might do better on pinkbike classifieds there seem to be lots of Cove lovers on there.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Not much sells on here for a decent price any more anyway!

    You tried STW and Pinkbike?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Not much sells on here for a decent price any more anyway!

    I got my fingers burnt a couple of times using the classified once selling and once buying. Wont use any forum classified again they werent big losses but prefer ebay at least you have some protection though it is bloody expensive selling on ebay these days.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not musch point posting the add anywhere but locally if he won't post!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not musch point posting the add anywhere but locally if he won't post!

    and how exactly do I do that? stick a sign on a lamp post? :roll:

    it covers a large area of where it can be collected/meet up...from south wales or Bristol, that's probably a 100 mile radius, i'll stick a sign on every lamp post in that area then :lol:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    pink bike yeah, I forgot about STW
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    welshkev wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not musch point posting the add anywhere but locally if he won't post!

    and how exactly do I do that? stick a sign on a lamp post? :roll:

    it covers a large area of where it can be collected/meet up...from south wales or Bristol, that's probably a 100 mile radius, i'll stick a sign on every lamp post in that area then :lol:
    Gumtree is local....

    Ebay specify collection only, so only local people will be looking.

    Or get a mate to sell it so you can do the sensible thing and offer postage!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    The Rookie wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not musch point posting the add anywhere but locally if he won't post!

    and how exactly do I do that? stick a sign on a lamp post? :roll:

    it covers a large area of where it can be collected/meet up...from south wales or Bristol, that's probably a 100 mile radius, i'll stick a sign on every lamp post in that area then :lol:


    Ebay specify collection only, so only local people will be looking.

    !

    um, so exactly like I've done on here and pinkbike then? :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except people look on thiose 2 expecting people to be able to send stuff........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    The Rookie wrote:
    Except people look on thiose 2 expecting people to be able to send stuff........

    and they don't on ebay? I get what you're saying, but your argument is flawed
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many people on ebay will anticipate some buyers not posting (heck it's a deselect option), most people on here, STW, PB will anticipate you'd be sensible enough to offer the option, but hey it's you that want's to sell it pal not me, I'm just trying to help, ever heard 'don't bite the hand that feeds'?

    Offer postage and you increase your potential market by about 50 times, logic says that will make it 50 times easier to sell, postage costs less than about a 30 mile drive (each way) to collect, so your market is really limited on people who will see it as a good deal versus one posted. I've sold about 25 frames over the years and posted all bar two.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    welshkev wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Except people look on thiose 2 expecting people to be able to send stuff........

    and they don't on ebay? I get what you're saying, but your argument is flawed

    Annoyingly its not though, ebay you can filter by distance.

    You can search for 'collected items' only and filter by nearest first and therefore only look at the items near me, once they get past a certain distance I stop looking at the rest.

    So it becomes a 'local' search in the way I've described and chosen to use it, not a national one where you have to go through every advert to see how far away it is.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Blah blah blah...

    But I will accept he was right and I was wrong :oops:

    Bite the hand that feeds? Huh? I'm not looking for an argument. I accept the postage thing and appreciate that it'd increase market share. But my question about decals :lol:

    Oh and I posted a frame yesterday. £19.50 for 48 hr.

    30 miles for me would be about 3 quid max
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    open a new bank account?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    get a new GF.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

    PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • welshkev wrote:
    Blah blah blah...

    But I will accept he was right and I was wrong :oops:

    Bite the hand that feeds? Huh? I'm not looking for an argument. I accept the postage thing and appreciate that it'd increase market share. But my question about decals :lol:

    Oh and I posted a frame yesterday. £19.50 for 48 hr.

    30 miles for me would be about 3 quid max

    Bleeding hell! You need to talk to your northern counterpart before you do these things! I've sent a whole bike for cheaper than that - I like things cheap lol.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I paid to have it insured for the full value, that was extra :)