29er tyres that'll do mud

friedpizzainbatter
friedpizzainbatter Posts: 166
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Recently bought my first mountain bike, have discovered the tyres are not terribly good in the mud, as this is probably going to be the norm for rides from now on was wondering if anyone could recommend a tyre that will grip well in muddy conditions?

Ta.
Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
"When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Schwalbe Dirty Dan's are a great mud tyre and come in a 29x2.0 size as well as the monster 2.35 for DH use. Expensive but worth it.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    on-one smorgasboard - carcass and rubber out of the same factory as xxxis and way cheaper, Brant spent a lot of time working the tread pattern round tod/hebden. bargain too
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Bontrager XR Mud/29 Mud.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    What tyres do you have on now?
  • Cheers for the replies, will check all those out.
    mcnultycop wrote:
    What tyres do you have on now?
    Bontrager 29-1 Expert, 29×2.2 at the moment.
  • edhornby wrote:
    on-one smorgasboard - carcass and rubber out of the same factory as xxxis and way cheaper, Brant spent a lot of time working the tread pattern round tod/hebden. bargain too

Are they a good tyre then?
  • Your 'type' of mud might influence your choice. If its the kind of real claggy thick stuff that instantly turns tyres into a big slick donuts of mud - you definitely want a specific mud tyre with big tall knobs with lots of space between knobs (Dirty dan, maxxis medusa, generally anything with mud in the name).

If its more v.wet conditions with 'thin' watery mud causing slippery conditions on rocks/roots etc. You might find a more alrounder tyre with a good sticky compound will keep you going better (i.e. Black chilli Rubber queen or mountain king).
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Tom Barton wrote:
    Your 'type' of mud might influence your choice. If its the kind of real claggy thick stuff that instantly turns tyres into a big slick donuts of mud - you definitely want a specific mud tyre with big tall knobs with lots of space between knobs (Dirty dan, maxxis medusa, generally anything with mud in the name).

If its more v.wet conditions with 'thin' watery mud causing slippery conditions on rocks/roots etc. You might find a more alrounder tyre with a good sticky compound will keep you going better (i.e. Black chilli Rubber queen or mountain king).

Yes, this.

The tyres you have on look designed for more dry/hardpack type conditions, so a more all rounder tyre might be enough for you rather than a mud specific. I love my Hans Dampfs, but the On-Ones are a cheaper option that people seem to get on with.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    Beware of Contil Rubber Queens or Mountain Kings etc or other tyres with big volume. 29ers suffer from rear tyre clearence with the front derailleur. Too big a tyre and you risk running very close to it and it soon clogs up with mud/stones/sticks etc. You'll be forever clearing it out.

I went for Maxxis Beavers 29x2.0 - very good in the dry loose dusty stuff and XC and DH. Not yet tried them in mud but the reports are good.

I had Rubber Queens on front and rear but ran into the problems I outlined above. Still have the RQ on the front as it gives excellent grip and turn in. Plus, I like having a Beaver up me rear ;-)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• On the subject of Rubber Queens, I've seen some keenly priced, while others are double for what appears to be the same tyre. Are they non black chili RQs?
  • To be used in local forest, mainly tree roots and thick mud, and seven stanes at Kirroughtree blue and red routes, some bits can get a bit muddy but maybe not as thick. From what's been said, sounds like I need an all rounder, so any of
    On-ones smorgasbord, Bontrager 29-mud, Specialized Storm(?), or Beavers ?

On-ones are very cheap are they as good as the more expensive tyres?

Also is it enough to run one of these at the back, and a different tyre up front, or is it easier if the collars and cuffs match... as it were?
  • As I had to go skinny on my muddy/winter tyres and due to the clay round here I went for a bonty xr mud on the rear and a maxxis beaver up front. Both in 2.0" iirc.

They still clag up a bit with the clay but with low enough pressure still make it through. On the more traditional mud they are just amazing and in the less muddy areas they make the handling like a 70's cop car :lol: but still more confidence inspiring than the geax AKA's I had as standard.
  • Croptonboy wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

Are they a good tyre then?

I have some new Smogasbord, very good, dual compound. Made by Maxxis.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    +1 for Smorgasbord, which are also surprisingly good on roads.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Half price currently, thats £15 each!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • +1 smorgasbord!