Saved by White Van Man!

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Riding to work this morning and could see a woman in a Renault Scenic pull into a side lane 100 metres up the road, I could clearly see her and that she was talking on a mobile phone, anyway just as I got to her the phone was thrown onto the passenger seat, reverse lights came on and she shot backwards, I had nowhere to go as I was in moving traffic so began to brace only to hear a loud BEEP from something behind me, I looked back and a guy in a white van was giving the woman a right gob full.
I carried on pedalling away and as the van pulled alongside the driver wound his window down to see if I was ok! I thanked him and managed to get to work safely!
Just thought I’d share as white van men tend to get a lot of stick, but this one really saved my hide this time!

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    He was giving out to her, running a cyclist off the road is his job.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    I tried that on my motorbike last week.
    Riding along behind a cyclist I noticed that the car alongside him was drifting over and about to crush him against the kerb as part of a indecisive move to pull up at the kerb - gave a blast of my horn and the driver woke up and drove off.

Unfortunatel the cyclist clearly hadn't seen the car and from his point of view I'd just beeped him for no reason - gave me a look like thunder over his shoulder as I overtook.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I think that most women drivers are just as good as men but the last few near misses I have had have all been women drivers, just goes to show. :roll:
  • Dowtcha wrote:
    He was giving out to her, running a cyclist off the road is his job.

Hahaha.

Good on the WVM thou.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    It is pretty intimidating when a vehicle starts doing this.

A few weeks ago I was behind a huge tractor with some agricultural attachment at the back so he couldn't see behind and the driver started reversing. I paddled backwards but he was going faster than I could paddle so I quickly jumped off and chucked myself into the hedge. If there had been a wall there, I would have been toast. I tried shouting but the racket made by his tractor drowned out the noise.

It was fairly scary but fortunately, there was no harm done. I would have been grateful for a vicarious honk on the horn but there was no-one behind me.