Cold set or replace axles?

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My singlespeed is running 9speed wheels.
The frame was built for a five speed.
I want the wheels to fit easily (winter is coming)
I am reluctant to cold set, could I replace the axles for shorter ones?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope.

steel frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes it is steel
  • What do you mean by 'cold set'?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nicklouse
    What do you mean by 'cold set'?
    read the info on Sheldon Browns pages about cold setting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Would have been easier to say bend.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except it's called cold setting......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Except it's called cold setting......
    I wasn't refering to the use of the correct word(s), I was refering to Nick's answer, he could have simply said it means bending.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    Because bend has two meanings elastic and plastic deformation, so you can bend a frame in it's elastic zone and not achieve a plastic deformation (cold setting), so while he could have simply said bending it would be wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    Would have been easier to say bend.
    no, see above. Sheldons artical is good and should be read by anyone wanting to know about it.

Or i could have just C&Ped it but where is the education in that?
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Because bend has two meanings elastic and plastic deformation, so you can bend a frame in it's elastic zone and not achieve a plastic deformation (cold setting), so while he could have simply said bending it would be wrong.
    Yes, as usual members end up discussing semantics rather than the actual subject. Just wondered how long it would take for someone to respond with the technical difference between bend and cold set. To add my spoke in, I’d say, what you’re referring to is flexing, bending results in permanent deformation, flexing doesn’t.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes, as usual members end up discussing semantics rather than the actual subject. Just wondered how long it would take for someone to respond with the technical difference between bend and cold set. To add my spoke in, I’d say, what you’re referring to is flexing, bending results in permanent deformation, flexing doesn’t.
    So I can't bend a ruler that snaps back when I realease the force applied? Don't be daft.

It's not semantics, it is getting it right, you can bend (elastically) a frame to take a wider axle, but that isn't cold set.

If the OP were advised to just bend the farme to get the wider axle in he may have done just that.