Best mud guards for my new Bronson?

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
After a very muddy visit to Bike Park Wales and with winter on the way I need to get mud guards for my Bronson which is fitted with a dropper post. What are the best unobtrusive mud guards you've come across?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Mtfu and get some waterproof clothing. You're gonna get wet in winter whether you have mud guards or not. A marsh guard/bender fender up front to keep crap out your face is all you need IMO.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just get your butler to ride it and clean it when the weather is bad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Splendid idea!

tumblr_l1tqaz26L51qzhl9eo1_500.jpg

I say Geeves, you should really upgrade to a 29er. Your SO 1870's!
  • or if you want a serious answer, these have just been developed if you want a fit and forget solution. Apparently works brilliantly - if you like / can live with live with the looks / don't care what 'real mountain bikers' who like to get muddy think and want that sort of product. Not sure if the front one is released yet.
    https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... -in-38344/
  • It does look a good product, and you get to support a UK business by buying them! :)
  • lawman
    chrisw333 wrote:
    or if you want a serious answer, these have just been developed if you want a fit and forget solution. Apparently works brilliantly - if you like / can live with live with the looks / don't care what 'real mountain bikers' who like to get muddy think and want that sort of product. Not sure if the front one is released yet.

I can see that clogging so easily it's ridiculous!! Fine for wet riding, but that would last 5 minutes on my muddy trails before it was blocked and the bike weight a metric fuckton. As I said before, proper waterproof clothing is all you need imo. You're gonna get muddy, whether you buy a million mudguards or not.
  • notax
    chrisw333 wrote:
    or if you want a serious answer, these have just been developed if you want a fit and forget solution. Apparently works brilliantly - if you like / can live with live with the looks / don't care what 'real mountain bikers' who like to get muddy think and want that sort of product. Not sure if the front one is released yet.

Thanks, I'll give these a go, I like the look of the front one compared to others I've seen, the back look pretty awful to me but I may be tempted...
  • notax
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... -in-38344/[/quote]

I can see that clogging so easily it's ridiculous!! Fine for wet riding, but that would last 5 minutes on my muddy trails before it was blocked and the bike weight a metric fuckton. As I said before, proper waterproof clothing is all you need imo. You're gonna get muddy, whether you buy a million mudguards or not.[/quote]

I'll give it a go, but I agree, some of the clay based mud could seize the bike solid! I've got waterproof clothing but still rather it isn't completely covered in mud, and keeping the mud off the fork stanchions, dropper post etc can't be a bad idea...

Just ordered front and rear, I'll let you know what I think once the butler has fitted them :lol:
  • This works with dropper posts, and doesn't look too offensive:

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?rout ... uct_id=152
  • lawman wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

I can see that clogging so easily it's ridiculous!! Fine for wet riding, but that would last 5 minutes on my muddy trails before it was blocked and the bike weight a metric fuckton. As I said before, proper waterproof clothing is all you need imo. You're gonna get muddy, whether you buy a million mudguards or not.

Apparently they don't clog. I don't know them but the guys who have developed these live in the same area as me so I have been keeping an eye on the development. I'm aware they have been testing for well over a year and you can't get much more clayey, clagey mud than the Wyre Forrest. I haven't tried them myself though - I'm not sure personally about the looks and use of cable ties, but if you want something that works well, I think this will.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    lawman wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

Don't knock a product until you try it...
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Notax

How did you get on with these?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chrisw333
    The Rookie wrote:
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!

The reason I did so was that someone else was asking about a front mudguard on another thread and I recall Notax said he was getting some of these and thought feedback from an actual user may be useful. No? I am also a little intrigued regarding the feedback as these have been developed by a couple of riders local to me and yes, I'd kind of like to see a small British company with genuine innovation (on the rear at least) do well.

And no, I've no relationship with the developers or the company whatsoever, but did meet one of them on a night ride recently.

Oh, and finally I'm considering buying a set myself.

If this is against forum rules, then please delete. If not, then maybe real feedback (rather than than the usual slating without having tried it) will be of help to others.

Is that ok?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It was only a month ago... it's fine.

And as for the topic itself, I agree with Lawman, who needs mud guards? Just get a bender fender/marsh guard for the front.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chrisw333
    ilovedirt wrote:
    And as for the topic itself, I agree with Lawman, who needs mud guards? Just get a bender fender/marsh guard for the front.

yeah, so did I. But with the prospect of night rides finishing at a pub nowadays my views are staring to sway a bit. Clean(er) shorts seem far more appealing to the local publican for some reason.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I agree.

I (along with Lawman) recently did a C2C down through Wales. There was lots of pushing, carrying and riding across the Welsh wilds and we also did bits of Penmachno, Machynlleth, Nant-yr-Arian, Coed Y Brenin and Afan. At no point were my mudguards a problem, and even though the weather was pretty good most days, I was cleaner than those without them at the end of each day.

I might take the rear one off now that I'm likely to be doing shorter rides but I understand why people use them and it's hard to see any real downside.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • chrisw333
    Bails
    this should be a different thread, but re your c2c - was it the Aberystwth to Prestatyn one or the north south one (ccc2ccc)?
    If the former I'd be interested to hear how you found it? I was considering this but am a bit (lot) concerned about the amount of climbing which looks huge! If it was this one I'll start a thread in 'rides' section if you don't mind.
  • ilovedirt - I didn't think I needed mudguards until a very wet ride at FOD at the weekend. I'm not arsed about getting muddy, but I was getting so much crap in my eyes it was bordering on dangerous. Not keen on goggles / glasses as they'd steam up or need wiping. So...mudguard it is.

I've got a Fender Bender on the front, it doesn't work in very wet conditions (before the dude from the mudguard thread I started today pitches in and tells me I've fitted it wrong.)

Cheers - mudhugger looks like a possible.

BTM
  • Oh, and Notax - I was riding with someone on a Bronson at the w/e. He had one of these POWA Dfender mudguards on the front. They're big, ugly and expensive, but he didn't have a so much as a speck on his mush.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    They're big, ugly and expensive,

Nice combination - I'll take four. :lol:
  • That'll be £240 sir!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Yeah, but who can put a price on ugliness? :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Bails
    this should be a different thread, but re your c2c - was it the Aberystwth to Prestatyn one or the north south one (ccc2ccc)?
    If the former I'd be interested to hear how you found it? I was considering this but am a bit (lot) concerned about the amount of climbing which looks huge! If it was this one I'll start a thread in 'rides' section if you don't mind.

It was the north to south (crudcatcher) one. Still had plenty of climbing!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I nearly hit buy on a mudhugger the other day, sure I will pretty soon. None of my riding is straight out the house, I always have to drive somewhere to ride, so if i'm only half as sh1t up when I get back to the car, especially on darker / colder nights, it makes it far easier to get in the car and off home which is a win for me.
    In the dark no one can see how ugly they are anyway. Which doesn't bother me tbf.

Notax - be interested to hear how your getting on with them.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Me too.

Although I want one because I don't like getting filthy. I'm not sure a mudhugger would work on mu bike though, my cables and brake hose run down the top of the seatstays. Can anyone confirm whether this is a problem or not?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lawman
    prawny wrote:
    I'm not sure a mudhugger would work on mu bike though, my cables and brake hose run down the top of the seatstays. Can anyone confirm whether this is a problem or not?

Another reason it's completely pointless. There are so many bikes it wouldn't be able to fit it's unreal.
  • chrisw333
    I'm not sure why you seem so keen to knock these?

I've declared my hand - the guys who developed them live local to me. The product seems pretty good to me and I'd like to see a small new small innovative British business do well.

Having read their website it seems they fit pretty much all 26 & 650b bikes. At worst, I imagine a tiny bit of modding would be required to fit over a cable (but I'd check with them first Prawny). So, what do you think all the bikes they wont fit are?

Oh, btw, just seen a review for the front guard. Apparently it doesn't clog after all.

http://www.moredirt.com/reviews/Review- ... nder/5047/
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    ilovedirt - I didn't think I needed mudguards until a very wet ride at FOD at the weekend. I'm not arsed about getting muddy, but I was getting so much crap in my eyes it was bordering on dangerous. Not keen on goggles / glasses as they'd steam up or need wiping. So...mudguard it is.

I've got a Fender Bender on the front, it doesn't work in very wet conditions (before the dude from the mudguard thread I started today pitches in and tells me I've fitted it wrong.)

Cheers - mudhugger looks like a possible.

BTM
    Really? I've got a marsh guard (basically the same thing) and I've found it to be perfect in everything from slightly moist trails to full on rivers and super sloppy mud. I rarely get crap in my face.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5