paint job

biggs83
biggs83 Posts: 37
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys
Im thinking of having my vt frame powder coated and was wondering once it comes back what, can the bike be but straight back together or is there anymore prep i have to do for the parts

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Depends if the place that did it plugged up the hoes in the frame ie bottom bracket, head and seat tube and any threads like bottle cage boltholes. I have had 2 frames powder coated first one was done by a guy who did parts for fridges and I spent hours getting overspray out of everything. Second was done by a guy who knew what he was doing and all I needed to do was scrape a tiny bit of plastic out of one of the dropouts so the wheel sat straight. Before you assemble the frame give it 2 or 3 coats of good quality car wax (not the silicone stuff proper wax) to protect the coat some powder coats can be slightly porous but the wax will seal it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Oh and if your fitting an external bottom bracket you will have to get the frame faced by a bike shop. Usually costs about £15 to £20.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And possibly the head tube as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Run a tap through any threads too, even if they've been masked.