Back Protection

woodyonthebeach
woodyonthebeach Posts: 583
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Apart from the a helmet, does anybody ride with any other protection.

I keep considering a backpacks with some back protection in or a separate back protector. This is for two reason to help with my posture and if the inevitable happens and I have off my back is given something a little bit extra support.
The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Your back doesn't really need protection during a spill. Two jersies will slide against each other, reducing abrasion injuries.
    Shoulder injuries are common but impossible to protect except by behaviour (keep your arms in)
    Hand abrasions can be really painful and slow to heal and very disabling so always wear gloves.
    Hips and pelvis are the vulnerable part, easy to break in a crash and hard to fix and serious consequences. Older riders are especially vulnerable.
    You can get hip protector pads, esp the smart gel ones that firm up on impact. They need shaped pockets to insert and hold in place.
    MTBers have shorts with built-in protection but it is probably more than roadies need.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Hip and shoulders usually get it. Not the back.
  • Some MTB DH riders wont ride (at speed down rough off road trails, drops, jumps etc...) without wrist, neck, leg and back protection. Wearing that level of protection on the road for your daily commute is more making a statement about government spending on cycle friendly road layouts.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.