Revelation uturn - simple oil top up

I am the god of hell fire
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have an old pair of 426 air u-turn Rev's which have been laid up for a while
Id like to drain and top up the oil without a full on service as they had a thorough once over before they were stored

Theres lots of good advice on line but Im not 100% before I start the job

Queries are:

1) Do I need to refill both legs?
2) If I unscrew the nut at the bottom of the dual air side can I just squirt the oil and then refit?
(this is step 5 on the page Ive linked to)
3) Does the red rebound/damping adjuster simply pull off and is there a nut to undo beneath it?

Thats in advance
They dont need a full service hopefully so Im trying to do it on a budget without replacing the seals and washers

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ice-24649/

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first download and read the Sram service manual.

then you will see you have 4 oil chambers to deal with. and different weight oils in the right chambers.

1 best to replace all the oil if you are going to do it.
    2 well that is only half of that side.
    3 yes but again only half of that side.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks

The dual air only has oil in the lowers
    I have the correct stuff already
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks

The dual air only has oil in the lowers
    I have the correct stuff already
    so you have read the service manual and you know what you are doing so why ask on here?

but as a reminder the damping oil is in the top of the right leg and the rest of the chambers have other volumes.

as shown above.

positions are from riders position.

have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks - again :)

Yes Ive read the manual but it wasnt clear if the rebound knob just flipped off and I didnt want to trash it

All of the online stuff describes a more comprehensive overhaul
    I just want to top up the oil as I can see some as seeped out when I released the negative air
    My wussiness here was if the oil would completely drain without the leg being removed, like a column of water in a drinking straw wont drain if you put your finger over the top end

Thanks - and Ive promised them a full overhaul in a few weeks, I just want to ride this week and cant wait for the seals and washers
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    For a lower leg service......

yYou just need to undo the bolts on the bottom of each leg and then give them a tap upwards (nut in place so as to not damage thread) to release them from the lowers. At this npoint you might as well pull the lowers free and wipe around the dust seals and apply oil to the foam rings. Replace lowers and add 15ml of 15 wt oil through the holes in botton of each leg , push them fully home and tighten bolts .

Go ride.

P.S pretty sure rebound just pulls off.
  • Sorted, thanks to both for the encouragement

Pretty simple job all in - funny how taking forks apart scares people, especially me :)

Foam rings will need replacing soon but Ive given the lowers a bit of tlc and am confident they look OK for the time being