Hybrid or Road bike! Help!

bristolbs5
bristolbs5 Posts: 7
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Hello all,

I am going to be purchasing a new bike in the coming months in order to commute to work. The commute is around 6 miles from home to work and is a mixture of tarmac cyclepaths and road. I used to own a Giant Rapid 3 hybrid and this was used on the same sort of surfaces that I have described above. However...I am now debating on whether to buy a new hybrid or stepping up to a Road bike but I am well and truly stuck!

I am not a cyclist in my spare time so the bike will only be used for commuting but want this to be the right purchase due to the amount of money being spent.

Your advice will be much appreciated!!

Comments

• If I was in your shoes it would deffo be a Hybrid. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    In your circumstances, I'd go for a hybrid.

If you went for a road bike, you'd need to make sure that it has sufficient clearance for mudguards (many are tight for clearance) and probably mounts for a pannier rack (not many have these).

...and as you have no aspirations to be a cyclist outside of your commute, a hybrid would tick more boxs to cope with commuting.
    Cycling weakly
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    I'd just go for what you feel comfortable on and will enjoy riding. If you're just going to use the bike over that distance, anything that's not going to fall apart will do fine (unless the 6 miles includes a mountain or something!) I imagine you'll want something that is comfy without padded shorts, special shoes etc. (changing for a 6 mile ride would be a hassle). And given British weather you will want something that will take mudguards!
  • I would go for a drop handlebar commuter that will take quality mudguards (like SKS P35). with 25 or 28mm gatorskin tyres. 6 miles each way is not inconsiderable and the variety of hand positions available may be a better way prevent arm / hand tiredness. it also depends on how fast you want to cover the distance daily? if a leisurely commute your setup will be different and possibly more flat bar oriented. if negotiating traffic (at speed) you'll benefit from the narrower road handlebar setup. do you ride cleated shoes or flat pedals?
  • Thanks everyone. so its looking like a hybrid!

Kimble - I have always ridden with flat pedals but again tempted to go for cleated shoes

Also, does anyone have any advice ref the best makes for hybrids to go for? As I said, i used a Giant before and was pretty pleased but any other advice on makes would be cool!
  • Also, I never used panniers etc, I always wore a rucksack with my work stuff in!
  • 500 - 600
  • Take a look at this, down from 750 to 500, fantastic bike IMO & will probably be my next purchase. I have a Ridgeback MTB & it's of superb quality & build.

http://www.realcycles.com/m37b181s284p4 ... S_GB/10923
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Just notices the dealer on the other link is in Ireland, here's one in England

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b159s867 ... tAodMHgAgw
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6