Giant Defy upgrades

tdougan
tdougan Posts: 152
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I picked up my first road bike a couple of months back, a Giant Defy 4. I picked it up as an entry level bike not know if I was going to enjoy road riding, it turns out I do.

I've done a couple of 50-70 mile events now and enjoying it.

I didn't have the greatest understanding of road bike equipment when starting however the more I ride the more frustrated I am getting with the group set that came with the bike. The gears jump around so much, just when I get settled on a long climb it jumps with out me touching the gears. I spend soo much time when riding looking down trying to tweak the gears to get it in a gear that it wants me to be in so it's not making some kind of clunking.

I have had it looked at a couple of times in the last couple of months - tightened up, gears serviced but it's just annoying.

I am thinking of upgrading but it seems I may need to go for an entire group set just about.

The full spec of my bike is here: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 833/56806/

I am thinking of the Shimano Tiagra full group set - This is 10 speed though so that's what's making me think I should go full group set - by the time I go for shifters and rear mech and cassett - I could get the full works for a little more?

any advice would be great.

Thanks for you time
Tony

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Set your gears up properly
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    styxd wrote:

^^This, once set up 2300 is OK.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Echo the above - get it set up, ride it until stuff wears out, then possibly upgrade stuff as it needs replacing.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    styxd wrote:

+1 mine are spot on and still going strong after 3000 miles, never missing a beat.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    It is reliability at stake here, not just setting up.
    Yes 2300 are OK but I would upgrade to tiagra , or if you can push it to 105. The general quality,feel, and reliability improves.
    I had Sora on a previous bike and although OK the shifting soon became unreliable and frustrating. I upgraded to Tiagra and there was a noticeable difference in quality and reliability.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Agreed, reliability increases up the range (within reason) - but upgrading an entire groupset after only 2 month's use is bonkers!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    Thanks for the replies guys.

30% of the reason I want to upgrade is the thumb shifters, the other 70% is it's spoiling my rides. I've had them serviced again and I'm heading out tonight.

fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
    Tony
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I changed my 2300 setup after 9 months for exactly the same reason as you - couldn't enjoy the thumb shifters. I went 105 due to getting a great deal off the forum and it really is night and day in terms of the feel of the bike. I say if you've got the money and the inclination, do what makes you happy!
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I got a defy 4 because it has 2300 on it.I had it on my first bike and it was 100% reliable(and still is).Once set up it works very well.My defy went back to the shop Cpl times to get it spot on.As for tiagra or 105 being more reliable,can,t see that myself.It may be lighter and cost more but no reason it should be more reliable.(I have a quality group set on my carbon bike btw).
    Finally I am a huge fan of the thumb shifter,suits me perfect.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    The thumb shifters were the main reason to upgrade for me. I think they are awfull compared to tiagra etc
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Have you read about setting up gears yourself?

Going back and forth to the shop must be costing a bit already. IME shops are not always as good at doing this as you might think. When I got my current bike I could not select the smallest and largest sprockets because they had set the limit screws to prevent the mech shifting to those gears. The front mech did not shift up to the big ring consistently either. Had to do the whole lot myself.

It did take me a few attempts and a long time to do it but its a valuable skill to learn. If you really mess it up you can always go to the shop as a last resort.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    This is good advice and make some time to do it calmly. The more you know how to do yourself on a bike the more you get out of your bike. Having said that I am legendry at making Wheels Pringle shaped just by looking at them with a spoke key in my hand !!!

There is no reason you should not be able to select all the gears on your bike and unless under real heavy power gear changes should be very smooth.
  • Get a SRAM Apex WiFli group set from Merlin, about £280. Hock yours for at least £150. Very little cost to change
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I have 2300 on my giant CX bike and Full ultegra on my Lapierre Xelius I have to say this, for the amount of times you actually are on the drops and change gear is very little , try as I might to find reasons to dislike the 2300 and justify the cost of upgrading in all honesty i can not, changes well shifts well etc .
    When I first bought the giant I was graduating from flat bar to drops and did not have a clue about shifting , when I realized i had gone bargain basement and as the magazines put it "out dated " 2300 I felt as though I was riding something out of the ark.
    Now , 18 months and hundreds of miles (I average around 180 a week) on the clock I have no problems with the bike , gears , performance at all.
    Stick with it and change when it wears out.
    regards
    ILG
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Have a look on http://www.youtube/user/globalcyclingnetwork they have how to videos that show you how to set up the front and rear derailleurs.