First-timer fork servicing ...

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I try to do most of my bike maintenance, but have never attempted a fork service before, so am a bit nervous, and looking for some basic advice and reassurance ...

The bike is a Boardman Team Hardtail, purchased October 2011.

Firstly, unsure exactly the exact model of the fork. The Boardman website states it is 'Rock Shox Recon TK, 120mm, tapered steerer, lock out, damping adjust'; the Bikeradar review of the bike calls it a 'RockShox Recon Solo Air, 120mm (4.7in) travel' - I am presuming it is the same fork?

Secondly, the bike is coming up to 2 years old, has been ridden at least weekly, and the forks haven't been serviced. I've noticed that sometimes, after the fork compresses, the stanchions don't return to their original position, ie the fork doesn't properly extend again. Would you say the fork needs a service?

Thirdly, I had a quick scan of the user manual from the SRAM website, which was a rather daunting 32 page document! I'm sure all the steps are pretty logical, but my initial reaction was that I just want to get someone else to do it! What exactly is involved in a full service? I presume dismantle / drain oil / clean internals / replace seals / re-assemble / add new oil?! But the manual referred to the 'Rebound Damper Service', the 'Turnkey Damper Service', and the 'Motion Control Damper Service' - are the servicing of these all seperate and additional proceedures?

Fourthly, in addition to fork oil, syringes, measuring jugs, isopropyl alcohol etc, I guess I'll need a new set of seals - is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-ROCKS ... 1152wt_932 all I need?

Finally, I know loads of you are experienced at this, and will recommend that its worth putting in the effort to learn how to do it properly (which I agree with), but realistically, how long is it likely to take me as a first-timer (rather than an old-hand!) to do it?

Comments

• 2 years is a long time . Servicing could be 2 steps I.e lower leg off clean or replace the dust seals and lubricate . £ 15.00 or thereabouts .

Doing a full strip down doesn't come cheap £ 60 to 70 for a complete kit of o rings washers etc . Check sram parts pdf 2012 for exploded diagrams of fork internals and specific service items , 2 kits available the basic you linked to and one containing every o ring , washer etc for a full rebuild

I am going to strip , clean and relube mine and will only replace things if needed.

Had a problem on air fork with negative chamber leak . Thought I would check the schrader valves , low and behold it was not in properly .

Bought my suspension oil from a motorcycle dealer ( much cheaper than any bike shop)

Grease must be suspension specific , oil weight and volumes are critical.

Sram also have you tube videos .

Decent socket set 24mm socket , 10mm deep socket , allen keys , snap ring pliers needed if servicing uppers.

Full service annualy . Lower leg as and when .looking at 30 minsfor lowers an hour for full.

Cleanliness and a methodical approach needed . Take photos if not sure so all parts go back in correct order.

The alternative is to send forks off to somewhere like tf tuned .

Petra cycles have access to service kits and have been most helpful