Shimano brake juice.

plugp7
plugp7 Posts: 298
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just changed from Avid to Shimano brakes. Need to bleed them after hose shortening and come to buy Shimano mineral brake juice. Are they joking at at £9 for 100ml and a bit of tube! Unicorn pi55 is cheaper! Does everyone use this or is there a reasonably priced alternative?
Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Castrol LHM for Citroens, about the same price for 1litre
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Halford's sell the mineral oil for about £4-5
  • I just use halfords mineral oil.
  • plugp7
    maringirl wrote:
    Halford's sell the mineral oil for about £4-5

£4.79 for 125ml will do me cocker.
    Off to Halfords in the AM.
  • http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/04/11/tec ... c-updated/

Shimano seem to contradict themselves slightly, and possibly get their degrees C and degrees F muddled-up.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    plugp7 wrote:
    maringirl wrote:

But you were presumably going to get the Shimano stuff online, so it's £9 vs £4.79, so you're saving £4, and getting a little bit more, which will be pretty useless as you won't use the whole Shimano one anyway, and unless you live on top of a Halfords you'll probably spend that getting there, not to mention the time.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You can buy genuine Shimano oil on ebay. I got a 100ml bottle for £6 thats enough to fill front and rear brakes with plenty left over for the inevitable Oh F**k moment when you spill some.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • £7.49/ltr from taximan on ebay. Then you can share it with your freinds.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Halfords LHM in the automotive department is a simialr price to the shimano stuff for 1 litre, use a trade card and its about £3 for a litre.
  • plugp7
    njee20 wrote:
    plugp7 wrote:
    maringirl wrote:

But you were presumably going to get the Shimano stuff online, so it's £9 vs £4.79, so you're saving £4, and getting a little bit more, which will be pretty useless as you won't use the whole Shimano one anyway, and unless you live on top of a Halfords you'll probably spend that getting there, not to mention the time.

There must be some logic in that remark but it eludes me!
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I use LHM (the green stuff). It actually feels better to me than shimano fluid and costs about £5 for 1 litre

Used it for 4 years in my XC bike with no issues
  • Halfords sell the same mineral oil (dot 4 / 5 etc) in both their motor & bike departments but the prices are widley different, twice as much for a quarter of the volume in the bike dept last time I bought some.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    UncleMonty wrote:
    Halfords sell the same mineral oil (dot 4 / 5 etc) in both their motor & bike departments but the prices are widley different, twice as much for a quarter of the volume in the bike dept last time I bought some.
    That's not mineral oil. Doesn't invalidate your point, but...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Its a shame, I dont think you even needed to bleed the brakes in the first place.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Its a shame, I dont think you even needed to bleed the brakes in the first place.

you'll get a small bubble or two coming out of the caliper after you cut the hose