As if drivers...

Ride hard
Ride hard Posts: 389
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
...didn't already have enough distractions that keep their eyes on everything else but the the road ahead, Nissan thought of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23964797
Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"

Comments

• Just like a traditional smartwatch

Ah yes, those traditional smartwatches from the summer of 2013 - how quaint they seem now...
  • But it also allows users to keep an eye on their car's performance - including average speeds and fuel consumption.

<Awaits first crash report of driving rear ending someone while checking his fuel consumption>
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    Most modern cars I've seen show fuel economy in the display anyway and what on earth would anyone need to know their average driving speed for?
  • Solution looking for a problem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The eventual aim would be to create wearable technology for drivers that can spot fatigue, monitor drivers' levels of concentration and emotions and record hydration levels.

I can see it now......
    'Stop looking at this watch, stop looking at this watch' :roll:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I just wish drivers would pay more attention to the road in front of them ...

Yet again I had to signal for a car to get off my wheel - 35mph down hill to a corner - in the wet ... what did they think would happen if my wheel slipped from beneath me ...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:
    The eventual aim would be to create wearable technology for drivers that can spot fatigue, monitor drivers' levels of concentration and emotions and record hydration levels.

I can see it now......
    'Stop looking at this watch, stop looking at this watch' :roll:

I was in a Prius minicab over the weekend and noticed a screen when I got in.
    It had a display showing the battery level and how much electrical power is going to the wheels and how much engine power etc. this display stayed on until it went over about 5mph to a long, rambling message essentially saying "Don't read this message"
    I wonder if anyone has crashed reading the messag saying "Don't read this message"?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I got this story from a colleague whose husband had been asked by a woman he worked with whether it was OK to drive with the handbrake on one click. The reason: the TV screen in the front of her new X5 would only work with the handbrake on and she didn't want to miss Eastenders while driving.

This, of course, may be bollards but the sheer amount of stuff that you can legally deal with while driving is huge now:
    - Satnav
    - Stereo
    - Hands-free phone
    - Aircon
    - Drink (why drinks holders in the front if not?)
    - Werthers Originals in the door pocket
    - Kids
    - Cyclists to swear at

I still see a lot of people using handheld phones while driving. Studies show that the effect is at least as bad as being at twice the drink-drive limit so why isn't the penalty the same?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Read this article in the Telegraph about the effect of looking at technology whilst in the car. It's pretty grim reading but worth it.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Read this article in the Telegraph about the effect of looking at technology whilst in the car. It's pretty grim reading but worth it.

The sort of person who'd take their eyes off the road for 18 seconds to look at her satnav would have taken their eyes off the road for 18 seconds to look at a map, it's not the technology at fault, but the person.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • I got this story from a colleague whose husband had been asked by a woman he worked with whether it was OK to drive with the handbrake on one click. The reason: the TV screen in the front of her new X5 would only work with the handbrake on and she didn't want to miss Eastenders while driving.

This, of course, may be bollards but the sheer amount of stuff that you can legally deal with while driving is huge now:
    - Satnav
    - Stereo
    - Hands-free phone
    - Aircon
    - Drink (why drinks holders in the front if not?)
    - Werthers Originals in the door pocket
    - Kids
    - Cyclists to swear at

I still see a lot of people using handheld phones while driving. Studies show that the effect is at least as bad as being at twice the drink-drive limit so why isn't the penalty the same?

I would be scared if that is true. Correction - I would be very scared.

I know a lot of us on here drive and can appreciate how something like this 'innovation' is probably not the best since sliced bread, but surely it doesn't take someone who can assess the pros and cons from two different perspectives (or three if you also factor in being a pedestrian) to work out that your eyes should be on the road when driving and hands on the steering wheel. Simple. Hell, it wouldn't even take a fully paid up member of MENSA to figure that out. So how a car manufacturer can't observe the same commonsense is beyond me.

Rant over. I'm now off to breathe into a brown paper bag.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • veronese68
    Oh yes, definitely the person at fault. Some of these technologies seem to almost encourage it though. A GPS system by it's very nature knows when the car is moving so could easily be disabled when the car is moving. I accept that the passenger wouldn't be able to operate it either but I think that's a price worth paying.
  • slowbike
    18 seconds! flippin eck ...

I'm a bit sceptical about the ban on mobile phone usage - Ok - I don't agree with using it in dangerous situations, but there are occasions when operating a mobile isn't going to cause any issues - and then you read a case like this ... and realise that there are a lot of idiots on the road. Ppl who don't understand that you can't not look where you're going for 18 seconds whilst travelling at 40mph+ ... !

I'm sure the driver is normally a very nice person - but all drivers should know that being inattentive to the road for any sustained period is dangerous.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    18 seconds! flippin eck ...

I'm a bit sceptical about the ban on mobile phone usage - Ok - I don't agree with using it in dangerous situations, but there are occasions when operating a mobile isn't going to cause any issues - and then you read a case like this ... and realise that there are a lot of idiots on the road. Ppl who don't understand that you can't not look where you're going for 18 seconds whilst travelling at 40mph+ ... !

I'm sure the driver is normally a very nice person - but all drivers should know that being inattentive to the road for any sustained period is dangerous.
    The way vision works, she probably would've seen a car or something larger even while not looking directly at the road.

The ban on mobile phone usage, well traffic laws have to be written to suit all people in all locations. The MAD types who think they are all super drivers and that speed cameras are an infringement of their rights are ignoring the fact that speed limits have to suit 77 year olds with slowed reactions and 17 year olds with no sense of their own mortality. Laws on phone usage have to take into account empty dual carriageways and the pride of Swindon - the Magic Roundabout.
  • slowbike
    The ban on mobile phone usage, well traffic laws have to be written to suit all people in all locations.
    Yes - exactly - the lowest common demoninator ...
    protecting the idiots from themselves ...

lots of knee-jerk laws are created by idiots who have suddenly realised they did something stupid and "it must never happen again" ... well, it wouldn't if the idiots started thinking about the consequences of their actions.

</grumpygit>

Mmm got an idea for some tech that could be forced on those inattentive drivers ...
  • Slowbike wrote:
    lots of knee-jerk laws are created by idiots who have suddenly realised they did something stupid and "it must never happen again" ... well, it wouldn't if the idiots started thinking about the consequences of their actions.

There was a classic Onion story on the lines of "Fun thing banned because of three stupid dead kids".

I hate to agree with Clarkson but maybe the metal spike in the centre of the steering wheel (instead of an airbag) is actually a good idea.
  • veronese68
    Slowbike wrote:
    Mmm got an idea for some tech that could be forced on those inattentive drivers ...
    So have I, but I think the electric chair is frowned upon.
  • slowbike
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    So have I, but I think the electric chair is frowned upon.

...dam .... are you sure? .... it's only a little shock .... ;)