Hill-a-Saurus 2013 - What Have I Done!

TheBassmonkey
TheBassmonkey Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in XC and Enduro
Well hi there Bike Radar Troops!

I've been a long time lurker and now its time to post, and to do my first MTB event, wooooo! I have been cycling many of the disused Dorset Railways (Castleman, North Somerset, Bath Two Tunnels) and whilst there are some inclines, they aren't super steep.

I have been cycling these routes on a Lapierre Rapt 1.1 (jump bike I know!) and am trading it in a few days to something more appropriate (Specializied or similar). I generally cycle anything from 20-40 miles each time I go out, and my 'wall' seems to be at about 30-32 miles at the moment.

For my first event I have registered for the Hill-a-Saurus, mainly because its nearest me, and the only event I can kind of make this year. Typical!

So, I ask from you all knowing and knowledge group of people, what should I do to prepare for this challenge other than get out cycling and practicing my hill climb? Is there any kind of clothing I might need for a wet day, or anything other than me, my bike, trail tools and water to see my through?

Huge thanks to you all, you're an incredible community!

Lee

Comments

• Alrighty, I'm fully aware that I am responding to myself, but as there have been a number of views, I thought I'd update the lurkers!

So I went down to the Nordon Park and Ride today for a little recon and thought, based on a number of GPS maps, I'd be able to roughly recreate the Hill-a-Saurus. The first hill, is not a hill, its a steep mountain, but its ok, the view was amazing and I enjoyed the challenge, except it kept going and going and going.

Having finally reached the top, gone through the gate and chatted with some lovely dog walkers I encounter a bull stood on the path with some other cows and a calf or two. The Bull does not look especially pleased to see me. With this in mind, I took a circuitous route around and climbed up through some brambles with bike on my bike to resume the course. This was not to be. The Bull had wandered along the top of where I was climbing and was stood there, watching, waiting. (I think he knew, oh he knew alright!)

So, I took the lower path and eventually found the hellish zigzag that leads back up to the path and the downhill section to the foot of the epic hill that needs to be climbed to reach ol'Harry himself. By this point, I was knackered, and the sun was beating down. Time for some raspberry juice!

Having looked in vain at the GPS doodad on my phone I took a wrong turning (im good like that) and ended up taking a left turn too early to start the ascent to the obilisk. I ended up coming up the footpath section of the hill on the far right hand side. Suffice to say I climbed rather than rode up this section.

Eventually I made it, and glory be the view is phenomenal! I got to Old Harry Rocks, and then started the descent to the road that exits by the Bankes Arms.

At this point I have no idea which way I'm supposed to go in order to follow the Hill-a-Saurus route and started along Swanage road (and another hill) until I reached a section that led onto Swanage golf course, a section for pedestrians and Cyclists. Oh the single-track was exhilarating! Fast, flowing, and in places technical due to the debis that lined the road. In the end I came upon the trail for the Petit Tour de Manche which pretty much took my back to the park and ride I had started at.

I have come away tired, my legs are cut to ribbons by brambles and swollen from many stinging nettles thanks to my bull-detour, but I had a ball of a time. I have ordered my new bike and its comes on Thurs so I might see if I can get the route right this time and go from there.

I can defintely say that I'm looking forward to it, but also somewhat wary. I want to put in a good time, but its such an epic mission to get up those hills. I'm hoping that my next recon will find the correct route, and I can then at least get better practice in. Also I'll stopping pausing to take so many flippin photos! Stupid pretty place!
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Its a great ride I really enjoyed it last year
    I am entering this year for sure
    if you practice the climbs over and over they do get easier, also try not to stop at the top just keep riding easier said than done but just ride at a slower pace until you recover a bit
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Hi CameraUK

Thanks for the advice, certainly looking forward to it! Looking back over the GPS routes, I wasn't far off the correct route at all. Made it harder for myself as had to ascend using paths designed for foot only. Think I'll have another go on Thurs or Fri when my new bike comes and test the trail out on the correct route (providing no bulls!) and with the new 29er.

Should be interesting!
  • Just signed up for this again :D
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • camerauk
    here you go a video a friend did last year :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_0cTYVoXM
    It was -4 at the start when we arrived :0
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Just seen the video on the Wiggle page. Am very tempted by it, especially as I've not entered any organised events this year.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'll be there too :D

(The venue has changed btw - it's now starting from a campsite in Swanage :D ) Better facilities and all that!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • camerauk
    Thanks for that I would have gone to last years start point :oops:
    Lets hope the weather is like last years :)
    I will be hoping to get to the start line early for the first wave of riders off
    May see you there
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    Hi all :D

Quick heads-up about conditions...

I was in Swanage yesterday messing about with the route for the Demo event this Saturday, and it slippery as a slippery thing around there. Unless we have a freak few days of tropical sunshine I'm guessing that it'll be similar come the weekend, so I would say nice grippy tyres are probably a good call :wink:

Ironically I do not have any nice grippy tyres for my bike, so when you see me sliding along on my backside say Hello :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• camerauk
    Many thanks for the headsup miss notax
    May see you Sunday
    I am hoping to get an early start at 8am that is if I managed to get up early enough as I have a 2 hour drive up :(
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    No worries :D

Not sure how early I'll be there as Saturday will be manic, but I will aim to start early-ish...! :D

• I'm going to run my XR4 Team Issues as they're the only tyres I have :lol:
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • camerauk
    Yep got one of those on the rear but have a worn Ground control on the front maybe fun
    If I get time I may try and put my specialized Storm tyre on the front
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • The Hill-o-Saurus is a good morning out and the views are great on a sunny day. The weather looks fairly cold and dry between now and Sunday although you can bet the big downhills are a little slippery and the golf course and woods will be very muddy as usual. I was planning to push for the Gold time this year but as I am now going to Twickenham on Saturday I will be lucky to get up on Sunday morning :D
    No bike they've all been stolen...
  • miss notax
    Course dried out nicely - tomorrow should be fun!!!

• miss notax
    So..... How did everyone find it??!

I loved the route actually - some vicious hills but I even quite enjoyed them... :oops:

• camerauk
    Yep was really good route
    Really struggled on the hills today still can't seem to get rid of chest infection
    Managed around 2:40 so pleased with that as I also stopped a bit to do a bit video
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Although it was a bit longer than previous years due to that hill at the start I actually found it slightly easier than last year even with a slight hangover. It wasn't as muddy through the golf course or the woods at the end and I thought my 3,10ish was ok until I saw camerauk's 2,40 with a chest infection....
    No bike they've all been stolen...
  • miss notax
    Cool :-)

I started timing way too early and then had to wait to leave, so I * think* I'm about 2.30 - maybe a tad less....

Bike (and me!) clean, so time for a celebratory glass of wine then! ;-)

• camerauk
    Still a good time Bobbinboy well done a good way to clear a hangover :)
    Very good time Miss Notax well done enjoy the wine :)
    are you on Strava Miss Notax?
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    Argh, I can't imagine doing that with a hangover!! Fair play!!

Yep, on Strava :-)

• Loved it , ended up 2.38 hours ,26miles & 2500 ft climbing on me cx bike . Had Few moments with no suss , great mix of tracks & trails and lovey Hills !!
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Missed this year's event, had a trip to BPW booked instead, we had organised it before realising it clashed. :roll: I enjoyed it last year, including meeting miss notax at a cake stop. :)

BPW was good btw, well worth the trip but it's graded pretty conservatively IMO, the blues are more like reds and the reds more like blacks that I've done before.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • miss notax
    Ahhhh, fame and notoriety at last...!

Interesting about BPW. I guess that's the difference between an xc descent and a bike park descent?

Still need to ride there myself... It's on the list!