Could you use mudguards in a pro race?

k-dog
k-dog Posts: 1,652
edited September 2013 in Pro race
Just watching the Vuelta and obviously yesterday was pretty miserable.

Obviously the guys had rain jackets etc but the bit I find most miserable is the water squirting right at your crack. Is it just tradition/machismo that prevents the use of mudguards - or is there a rule?

I'm think of something like a race blade or those little ones that go under your seat. I've found that must water comes UK rather than down and stopping the spray from your wheel makes a big difference.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Comments

• Unless everyone in the race did it would be pointless as the worst thing about riding in the wet in a group is the crap coming off the wheels of the riders in front hitting you in the face!
  • Some were using Ass Savers during MSR this year, but it was by no means universal.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just something else to go wrong. And who wants to make it comfier for a wheel sucker? ;-)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I can imagine it making some sense in a rainy TTT (although then the mudguards would also have an unadvantageous wind resistance effect), but why bother in a normal tour stage about the rider behind you, who’s often of a different team.

In rainy conditions without mudguards, it does actually sometimes work like this (I mean amateur level and only then infrequently; I’m not sure professionals behave the same – if so, maybe just on descents):
    a rider overtakes another rider and soon thereafter moves back in. The overtaken wants to follow but gets the backwheel spray and backs off or moves to the side, so a gap opens, sometimes enough of a gap to prevent the overtaken following the slipstream of the one who overtook.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Rule #5

Rule #5 - the water up the crack rule?
    the nobody speaks about cycling club rule?
    the water only comes from the UK rule ^^^ as above?
  • Mudguards probably fall into the "modifications" rule that the UCI choose to enforce or ignore as they see fit.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    You mean full on wheel covering types like SKS raceblades or the ass saver?

If the former I can imagine a wheel change would be a bitch.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • gpreeves wrote:
    Some were using Ass Savers during MSR this year

This