Suggestions for horrible overnight ride?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
Starting from Doncaster I want to do a really nasty winter/autumn ride overnight somewhere where the weather would be a bit extreme. Thinking of maybe North Yorks Moors on way to Newcastle or maybe Trough of Bowland over to Blackpool but cant set it up so the distance is that long.

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Wait for a really crappy night and set a turbo trainer up in your back garden with a One Direction single on repeat :?
  • rodgers73
    Ha!

I can beat that - Doncaster - York - Pickering - North Yorks Moors - Middlesbrough - Newcastle - Hadrians Wall - finish in Carlisle.

Not sure on distance but hopefully 150+

Just need to get timings right so I'm finishing around midday and pick a day with a bad weather forecast :-D
  • rodgers73
    Brilliant it looks like its 200+
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Location/height doesn't matter.

Bad weather is bad weather. Two worst overnights this season have been on top of Hartside at 500metres or whatever, and the fens at 0 metres.

Whilst I am a great believer in the powers of riding in really rough conditions, especially early season, do make sure you have an escape plan.

When we were on top of Hartside in the teeth of a huge storm, it wouldn't have taken much for things to get very dangerous, very quickly. A puncture would have been a really big issue in those conditions. We were already starting to get very very cold on the descent. Type pendle 600 into YouTube and there is a video of the state we were all in somewhere.

Always carry a survival blanket on those sort of rides, they weigh nothing.

I am about to spend the next couple of nights crossing 2000m passes - I am rather hoping for decent weather on this adventure.
  • The A66 over the pennines, scary weather and scary traffic. You'll be a gonner for sure.
  • rodgers73
    marcusjb wrote:
    Location/height doesn't matter.

Bad weather is bad weather. Two worst overnights this season have been on top of Hartside at 500metres or whatever, and the fens at 0 metres.

Whilst I am a great believer in the powers of riding in really rough conditions, especially early season, do make sure you have an escape plan.

Always carry a survival blanket on those sort of rides, they weigh nothing.

All true. I think I'll plan the route and just see how the weather is on the day - while I'm looking for a proper sufferfest I can't afford to be too spontaneous due to the need for hotel/B&B, train home etc.

I've been mulling over using my rack and panniers and packing some proper survival gear in them in case of any problems.

Apart from some stretches on the NY Moors I should be quite close to civilisation at all times so my escape plan would probably be to don walking waterproofs and shoes/boots and walk it to the nearest settlment in case of bike failure.