Project Pinkie

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited June 2014 in Your road bikes
Hey everyone,

I've had this old Raleigh Olympus bike frame that I was given by an old friend when he was clearing out his bike shed. It looked an absolute state so I just left it laying around for a while.

I've since had a bit of encouragement to go ahead and turn it into a nice commuter/town bike to get me around. This is the first bike i've sprayed, so to be honest it isn't the most professional finish, but it does fit the job I suppose.

To give an idea of the state it was in before sanding:
IMG_00000049_zps76d254b3.jpg

I started off by sanding and spraying with primer:
IMG_00000047_zps94cfb2f6.jpg

Then got the pink sprayed:
IMG_00000052_zpsf43a8b73.jpg

I've now got the clear coat on and a few parts installed. Still waiting on most of the stuff to arrive, and lots to order still.
IMG_00000056_zps423342f7.jpg

That is as far as I have gotten so far. I will be using a mix match of parts for this project to keep costs as low as possible, so as much as i've got laying around. I've ordered a quill to aheadset adapter, as well as a new BB. I will also eventually order a single chainring crankset from Spa Cycles, and most likely I will need to buy a rear wheel and single speed kit. Things are coming together though!

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Hope the build goes OK, try and post more pics as you progress.
  • The build should go well, although I have a feeling it will be a longer process. I've got quite a few bits n bobs to buy, and funds are tight at the moment. I hope to have it ready by Christmas!
  • Finished a similar project last year with a carbon frame that had seen better days. Took ages to sand, prime, paint and apply clear coat. The finish, while not professional wasn't bad and has stood up well enough over the last year.

Always a feeling of satisfaction when you build a bike over time, picking up used parts as funds allow, rather than just splashing the cash on a complete bike.

Enjoy!
  • Radial wrote:
    Finished a similar project last year with a carbon frame that had seen better days. Took ages to sand, prime, paint and apply clear coat. The finish, while not professional wasn't bad and has stood up well enough over the last year.

Always a feeling of satisfaction when you build a bike over time, picking up used parts as funds allow, rather than just splashing the cash on a complete bike.

Enjoy!

I've always had fun building up bikes. I've built many a frame up, but this is the first I have undertaken such a task as painting and stickering and such. I have really enjoyed painting, although it hasn't ended up perfect for it being a first time with spray cans it ended up well. I've got cool stickers with my name ordered up, which I'm excited about.
  • My wheels and BB showed up this week. I'm going to get some cross tyres later this month, and hopefully buy a single speed kit as well so I can get it built up and use it.
  • IMG_00000074_zps81048447.jpg

Here's project pinkie as it stands now! Just waiting on my rear brake to get delivered to the LBS then it will be all done. May change things around a little bit in the long run, and may possibly get carbon forks for it to smooth the front end out a bit. Decisions!
  • Figured I would provide a bit of an update. I have now gotten both brakes set up, bought new levers which work quite a bit better than the old ones, and have also switched the cranks/chainring for a 42 tooth to help with the slight hills around here. I will be using this bike for commuting very shortly once we move into our new centre at work, so looking forward to it.

I am still building up a regular commuting bike, so this will become a pub/cycle about to friends house type bike since I won't need panniers and mudguards!
  • possibly get carbon forks for it to smooth the front end out a bit.

Don't bother, the steel forks you have, with that rake, will be as comfy if not moreso than any carbon fork and finding 1" threaded forks at a low cost is impossible. You can get 1" unthreaded and change to Ahead type but for no gain. It's a nice old steel hack, leave it as is I'd say.
  • Fair enough, it was more for flash than anything!
  • So project pinkie is being redone slightly. I've put some drop bars on there and am currently waiting for the delivery of some pink bar tape and drop bar brake levers. Should be good to ride after that! I've stayed single speed which is nice for the simplicity.

Can't wait to try it out in proper cross form. Just wish my frame would take V-brakes.
  • MountainMonster
    OK, so I measured the frame up and the frame will fit me well to go for an aero position. I'm going to buy some clip ons and try my hand at some TT's in my local area. I just ordered a new stem which is coming from China so it should be here in 3 weeks, and I should have my clip ons by then.

Let's see if this project goes as well as I hope!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    oh my.. :oops: :oops:
  • MountainMonster
    OK, so I measured the frame up and the frame will fit me well to go for an aero position. I'm going to buy some clip ons and try my hand at some TT's in my local area. I just ordered a new stem which is coming from China so it should be here in 3 weeks, and I should have my clip ons by then.

The Hardwick course is my favourite! Though probably not the best idea for your first one...

I was most likely going to try the one that goes up to Cambourn roundabout then back down to Madingly as I ride this route quite regularly. I know there is a second loop that goes down towards Comberton, or am I wrong?
  • MountainMonster
    RideOnTime wrote:
    oh my.. :oops: :oops:

Oh, I love the haters :D:lol:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nice time there Mr Hattersley, especially on a fixie!
  • MountainMonster

The Hardwick course is my favourite! Though probably not the best idea for your first one...

I was most likely going to try the one that goes up to Cambourn roundabout then back down to Madingly as I ride this route quite regularly. I know there is a second loop that goes down towards Comberton, or am I wrong?

I can't say I'm familiar with that one. I think the quietest in that area is this one http://www.strava.com/segments/4129783 which when I did that Strava time I was in fact on a fixie!

Thanks for the link. I know the main TT route I mentioned is with whichever group that is that starts at CSC.

Is the Strava segment you added private? I never saw that on the Segment Explorer before. I'm going to have to go and try that! I just took delivery of my shorter stem, so i'm hoping that tomorrow, or possibly the day after, I will be able to pick up some extensions and try it out!
  • MountainMonster
    So she is now in TT mode. I've had a few rides on her and she seems alright although first impressions are that I can't get as low as I would like on the front end, and I really miss gears now that this is in TT mode. This has really made me want a full on TT bike.

DSC01973_zps1d77ef71.jpgDSC01971_zpsdd6a9903.jpg