Upgrading to X9 shifters

stonemonkey1974
stonemonkey1974 Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking for some advice, Im currently running a 2x8 setup but having broken my front shifter so im thinking of replacing with a set of Sram X9 3x9. I know ill need to swap cassette for a 9 speed and a new chain. Does any one have preference on 11-28, 11-32 or 11-34? Also can i do a straight swap between 8 and 9 speed cassette on a shimano hub? will i need to change front/rear mechs? they are sx5's.
Thanks In advance

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'd go 11-34 as it gives you that low gear for tough climbs

Personally I run 2 x 10 and would never look back, have you considered 2 x 10?

You would need a 9 speed specific rear mech, same for front

Unsure about the hub
  • Did look at 10 speed but cassette are expensive :S and trying to keep cost down
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ej2320 wrote:

Unsure about the hub

wrong.

mechs are fine as is the front shifter. rear shifter chain and cassette is all that is needed.

as covered in the faqs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ej2320
    nicklouse wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Unsure about the hub

wrong.

mechs are fine as is the front shifter. rear shifter chain and cassette is all that is needed.

as covered in the faqs.

Sorry, I got them the wrong way round :L

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bm ... himcasm450

That's as cheap as you'll get for a 10 speed cassette, dunno if that means you can afford it?
  • so your saying if i buy X7 shifters all i need to replace is cassette and chain? can i do a straight swap between 8 and 9 speed cassette on a shimano hub?
  • ej2320
    That's what he's saying

The chain is a different size depending on the number of gears
  • Surely a new shifter is the best option unless the rest is nackered. Most will work and could probably be had for a tenner.
  • ej2320
    If you don't want to change the set up and the cable is fine then yea, about £10
  • Surely a new shifter is the best option unless the rest is nackered. Most will work and could probably be had for a tenner.

Well had the bike for bout 5 yrs now so things prob getting a bit worn, I could just by a new shifter but thought id take the opportunity to try a different setup, and trying to upgrade a bit at a time.
  • In that case I'd look at a Deore drive group, great vfm
  • ej2320
    Deore 10 speed cassette £20
  • Ive been offered a pair of X9 shifters 3x9 for £30, so just looking for the best option to integrate these in to my current setup, this seems to be:
    Buy shifters
    Buy 9 speed cassette
    Buy 9 speed chain
    Then in the future I can go back to 3 upfront if i feel like it.
    I dont want a completely new drive group
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That would work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools