Proposed Tourist Attraction for Bournemouth

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
http://www.challengenavitus.org.uk/bournemouth.html

Am sure the local hotel and allied trades can't wait for this to keep the tourists away.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    and you honestly believe using your own thoughts to arrive at a rational conclusion and not relying on the opinions handed down to you from another industry that this will have any affect at all on the non-thinking people that choose to visit God's waiting room, come on :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mr_goo
    team47b wrote:
    and you honestly believe using your own thoughts to arrive at a rational conclusion and not relying on the opinions handed down to you from another industry that this will have any affect at all on the non-thinking people that choose to visit God's waiting room, come on :D

Great use of some words in the Oxford English Dictionary. Now please put them into some coherent form that I can understand. And what has religion got to do with the subject?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • team47b
    Mr Goo wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Great use of some words in the Oxford English Dictionary. Now please put them into some coherent form that I can understand. And what has religion got to do with the subject?

Sorry if my use of English is a little odd to you, I thought it was particularly idiomatic :D

What I said was...

Do you have any personal information that can back up your claim that the tourists will stop going to Bournemouth or is this what you have been told?

Bournemouth is known by some residents as god's waiting room due to it's large number of retired people, and was a carefully chosen facetious remark about the town. :D
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    It's interesting that Poole council isn't bothered.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mr_goo
    team47b wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Sorry if my use of English is a little odd to you, I thought it was particularly idiomatic :D

What I said was...

Do you have any personal information that can back up your claim that the tourists will stop going to Bournemouth or is this what you have been told?

Bournemouth is known by some residents as god's waiting room due to it's large number of retired people, and was a carefully chosen facetious remark about the town. :D

The proposed windfarm is causing much controversy. Loss of tourist trade, not just for Bournemouth, but the whole area will happen. The area from the Isle of Wight across the bay and into the Purbecks is part of England's only Natural World Heritage Site (Jurassic Coast). Something that many visitors come to enjoy.
    The industrial scale of the wind farm is the issue. Eneco the joint developers have sited similar schemes in Holland beyond the visible horizon. Yet in UK are not bothered to do so.

Your perception of Bournemouth as God's waiting room, is very much out of date. It is now a university town, filled with the associated infrastructure ie; clubs and bars etc. Definitely a town for youngsters now. Also has all the associated problems that go with it ie; drink and drugs. A council officer once told me that the cleaners of the public loos, find about one body per month.
  • mr_goo
    MattC59 wrote:
    It's interesting that Poole council isn't bothered.

Greasing of palms. I have absolutely no doubt. Some of the quotes from councilors in Poole and Bournemouth is laughable.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    nicklouse wrote:
    looks good.

I thought I was the only one who likes the look of wind turbines. They are certainly a step up from the excavation scars, dust and slag heaps I recall when I was a kid living near the edges of the South Wales coal fields.
  • mr_goo
    Pross wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    looks good.

I thought I was the only one who likes the look of wind turbines. They are certainly a step up from the excavation scars, dust and slag heaps I recall when I was a kid living near the edges of the South Wales coal fields.

Nothing against wind turbines. They just need to be in the right place.
    Driving down through France to the Alps last month, saw plenty of them down towards Troyes and Dijon. They looked quite majestic in some sense and in a rural setting, with their only neighbours being the cars and lorries on the road.

However they are not a solution for a constant and guaranteed energy supply. They can only be used as a supplement to the 'base load'. For the long term we need new generation nuclear.
    On Radio 5 lives energy day last week, the quoted percentage that the UKs wind turbines were online and generating power was less than 30% of a whole year. The only reason that they are becoming popular is the huge government subsidies provided power generators, so that the UK can meet the EU directives.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    looks good.

Nothing against wind turbines. They just need to be in the right place.
    Driving down through France to the Alps last month, saw plenty of them down towards Troyes and Dijon. They looked quite majestic in some sense and in a rural setting, with their only neighbours being the cars and lorries on the road.

However they are not a solution for a constant and guaranteed energy supply. They can only be used as a supplement to the 'base load'. For the long term we need new generation nuclear.
    On Radio 5 lives energy day last week, the quoted percentage that the UKs wind turbines were online and generating power was less than 30% of a whole year. The only reason that they are becoming popular is the huge government subsidies provided power generators, so that the UK can meet the EU directives.

Would not put me off going to Bournemouth one bit. Don't see the problem here.

Radio 5 also stated the need for a mixture of renewable energy sources and nuclear.

We all need energy and it has to be produced somehow and somewhere. You state we need nuclear so you'd rather that on your doorstep than a windfarm?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Pross wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    looks good.

love to see more.

dont have any issues with them at all.

and the ones in the water do create their own ecosystem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • team47b
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Loss of tourist trade, not just for Bournemouth, but the whole area will happen.

Your perception of Bournemouth as God's waiting room, is very much out of date. It is now a university town, filled with the associated infrastructure ie; clubs and bars etc. Definitely a town for youngsters now. Also has all the associated problems that go with it ie; drink and drugs. A council officer once told me that the cleaners of the public loos, find about one body per month.

So my original question was do you have anything to back up your claim about loss of tourists?

I am well aware of the numbers of students in Bournemouth, I used to lecture at Bournemouth University :D

The students are still out numbered two to one by retired people.

I would think the dead bodies you mention would have a greater effect on tourist numbers :roll:

Perhaps they could re-commission the 5 nuclear reactors at winfrith, and go back to good old 'fossil fuel' nuclear energy, maybe ask the people of Verwood what they think.

I do agree that you don't need this development, you don't need more power stations either, the only real need is to use less electricity.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Sorry but the windfarm is likely to have absolutely zero effect on tourism. I remember reading a report about the effect of windfarms to tourism, essentially I think tourists were asked if they would be effected by offshore windfarms at various distances away and once the things became inaudible above general background noise tourists didnt really care. They also looked at spend across the various locations and visitor numbers and noticed no real drop in either, actually i think there was a steady increase in some areas where they made the things a bit of an attraction.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Mr Goo wrote:
    For the long term we need new generation nuclear.
    I suggest we start with a complex of three 900MW pressurised water reactors on the current site of Boscombe bowling club.
  • If they are far enough away then I agree they wouldn't affect tourism but I can't say I find them attractive. You go to Bournemouth coast more for the beach than the view anyway. Seem to remember there are some off the Lincolnshire coast and they aren't really an issue. There are areas like the Peak District, Lakes etc where for me they'd spoil the vista far more than being in the far distance out to sea.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    I still find this claim about how infrequently the turbines operate pretty mystifying. I pass some on my ride to work and even in apparently calm conditions they are turning. I long for the days they aren't moving and I have a rare easy ride along the coast road but I can't remember the long time it happened.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Who said Bournemouth is Gods waiting room? FFS, it was always Eeeeeeeeeeastbaaaaaaaaaaawn. i know, I lived there for a while and Bournemouth was always a good night out.

Wots we need is pedal powered washing machines, dishwashers, TV's, compooters...

On the more interesting idiomatic prose T47b: That was a very eloquent piece that must have been tapped from a deep unfathomable, intermittent and ultimately transient pathway in the cerebral cortex which manifested itself in both satisfaction and fatigue. I also presume that you were underwhelmed by the satisfaction gained by your creative spontaneity and are busy wondering quite how to repeat such a seemingly effortless effort.
    If it does occur again, give me a shout.

Have a cup of tea and put your feet up mate.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    Can't believe you lived in Eastbourne or Bournemouth Mr P :shock:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Didn't live in Bournemouth - went clubbing there when I was a lad didn' I?

Says something when you go from one old peoples home to another for kicks.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Pross wrote:
    I still find this claim about how infrequently the turbines operate pretty mystifying. I pass some on my ride to work and even in apparently calm conditions they are turning. I long for the days they aren't moving and I have a rare easy ride along the coast road but I can't remember the long time it happened.

I am told that, in calm weather, for maintenance reasons, the turbines are turned . . . by electricity . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I can just make out the turbines in the distance on those videos. Such a shame.

This is the view that dominates from where I live

32641276.jpg

The older I get, the better I was.

• mr_goo
    Ok. I understand that quite a few of the responses are obvious lovers of windmills.
    My point is that you have to visit the area. Get an appreciation for the view/vista. Then realise that at least 150 windmills taller than the Gerkin in London will then be stuck in the middle for the next 25 years at least. Let us also not forget the tax payer subsidy which will be disappearing off to France and Holland to the tune of £1.5bn. The scheme would be a little easier to accept if it was a British company proposing it.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Bournemouth looks rubbish already, wind turbines will make it better.