Any issue using presta valves with schraeder rims?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

My Kona Minute with 700c wheels arrived this week, and I was surprised to see it comes with schraeder valve tubes.
I bought some 28-35 inner tubes, and specced presta valves, tbh schraeder only seem to be available on 26" tubes anyway, or am I missing the obvious?

So should/could I use the presta tubes I bought, or should I send them back and get schraeder replacements?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Yes you can, the "nut" on the valve that come with some manufacturers tubes (conti for example) is also a presta / Schraeder adapter the raised ridged bit on the nut should sit in the hole in the rim that Schraeder uses and lines the presta valve up in the middle. Did this in wife's bike without a problem. It does seem to depend on the manufacturer if the nut has the ridge or not.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • You can also get plastic collars that sit in the schraeder hole and make it fit prestas. About £1 a pair from your lbs. I fitted these and have had no problems at all (after NOT fitting them and puncturing madly).
    Sketchley wrote:
    Yes you can, the "nut" on the valve that come with some manufacturers tubes (conti for example) is also a presta / Schraeder adapter the raised ridged bit on the nut should sit in the hole in the rim that Schraeder uses and lines the presta valve up in the middle. Did this in wife's bike without a problem. It does seem to depend on the manufacturer if the nut has the ridge or not.

Phac.king hell!

Always wondered why that lip was there,
  • daniel_b
    Thanks gents,

Would seem that wiggles lifeline tubes I bought do not have such a nut, and also the hole is on an angled edge as opposed to a flat rim, so not sure if they would work anyway.
    Looks like I need to investigate these collar adapters, or go for schrader tubes.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    You can also get plastic collars that sit in the schraeder hole and make it fit prestas. About £1 a pair from your lbs. I fitted these and have had no problems at all (after NOT fitting them and puncturing madly).

Found these on ebay, but they appear to be a fiver each :shock:
    $(KGrHqJ,!q!E8WqKwsIMBPUJk80dFQ~~60_35.JPG
    On the right lines though?

Just found these, which I guess are spot on, but around £15 once sent over from the us!
    Hopefully one of my lbs's will have some.
    $(KGrHqNHJ!0E8e7WbRnkBPMqzio9h!~~60_35.JPG

Although part of me is still wondering if these are going to work on an angled rim....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Absolutely pointless as you won’t notice any different with or without,purely aesthetic.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Sometimes you can tear the valve stem off.

Schwalbe tubes come with a lock ring that does a good job of holding it in place.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • mroli wrote:

Those are the ones. Been trouble free for me. I had to ask at the LBS - they were hidden away in a drawer in the workshop - so just ask if they're not out.
    I've never considered it before. I use either valve on my commuting bike, depending on what I happen to buy. Didn't realise it made any difference.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • daniel_b
    I have decided that as I have heard storied on here and elsewhere about the need for sdapters or frequent punctures, and the fact that I am not convienced the adaptors will sit well within my non flat rims, that I will bite the bullet, and send back these tubes, and get some presta ones from Wiggle.

Thanks for all the replies, greatly appreciated.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18