Brakes lacking stopping power

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've noticed that my front brake was losing power stopping. It does work but seems to struggle to catch and hold, mostly slipping through. I had the pads cleaned and sanded, which didn't seem to do the trick, even had the caliper replaced, (including new pads) and fully bled, but still nothing.

The only thing I can think now is the rotor is somehow at fault. How I can I tell if the rotor is worn and needs to be replaced ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did you clean the rotor?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yep I've cleaned it twice, and the LBS did it today when they swapped the caliper and bled the brake. Still lacking in comparison to what it was like several weeks ago. I had to swap the caliper as the old one had a defective piston so it was only applying pressure on one side, not both sides. There is some scoring on the rotor because of that.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    echowitch wrote:
    I
    The only thing I can think now is the rotor is somehow at fault. How I can I tell if the rotor is worn and needs to be replaced ?

swap it for another one :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the lever feel is 'right' then it must be an issue with the disc/pad interface.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i have this problem, sometimes, i found out it is because i spent too much times with the brakes on and they were over heating plus they are just basic clark pads and basic cheap rotors and i'm quite heavy (95 ish kgs)
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • you should eat more apples then...
  • Sometimes rotors end up getting a polished surface due to brake rubbing and there's not much you can do, but replace them.
  • Try giving the rotor a light rub with some fine sandpaper or steel will, then a wipe of with some ipa.