Hopefully the pain wont last forever !!!

paulb369uk
paulb369uk Posts: 69
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
So I have finally picked up my new defy 2 and love it, it is the first road bike I have had for years and was eager to get out on it. After picking it up I decided to ride the 13 miles home (instead of putting it in the car) it went ok avg speed 15mph !! however when I got home I felt it on my backside :( Not to be put off I got home from work today and did another 10 miles again still feeling the pain but its bearable. The question I would like to ask is what sort of time frame can I expect before I can got for a ride and not get the pain ?

thanks

Comments

• Couple of weeks and a few hundred miles did it for me. My legs still hurt like hell, but every ride is faster than the last, so it's all worth it! A little tip that worked for me is wearing 2 pairs of padded shorts at the same time.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Couple of weeks and it will be about gone, don't try and doo too much in that time, give the body some recovery time to get used to it.

Get yourself some padded shorts, they help a lot. Happy riding :D
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    Decent shorts make a difference
  • If you haven't cycled in a while then your sitbones will take some time to adjust. Also, as others have said padded shorts and saddle matched to your rear end will make the world of difference.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Couple of weeks and it will be about gone, don't try and doo too much in that time, give the body some recovery time to get used to it.

Get yourself some padded shorts, they help a lot. Happy riding :D
    +1 for this^
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    1. Buy some decent bib shorts.

2. Enjoy cycling.
  • Thanks for all the advice guys, did 27 miles today, doubled up on padded shorts as I knew I was going to out for a while (thanks tiglon84), I have a little discomfort but nowhere near as bad as day 1 (thank goodness) my legs are feeling it though now I have got home and relaxed so I think I am going to have a day off tomorrow to give them chance to recover. Again thanks for all you comments,

Happy new cyclist :)