Carrera Banshee. good idea?

JMR120600
JMR120600 Posts: 23
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, so im looking for a good bike for around £550 that i can throw around the trails but have confidence in. Your opinions please?

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Go for a hardtail, or look 2nd hand. Banshees have always been seriously weighty bikes. Ok on paper for the money, but it's alot of bike to carry around with you.
  • for me weight is no problem. as im mostly dh (not too agressive tho.) I already own a hardtail and thats why im looking for a cheap, yed decent fs. because ive upgraded the forks from rigid to coil suspension. but id just doesnt do quite what i want. also ive ridden my friends norco fluid 3. and although mid range suntour isnt a patch on fox float. but doing small dropoffs (about 3-6 foot) feels so much better on the fs. and also feels so much more controlled. thanks for your opinion, mattv.
  • Also. whats your view on the suntour radion range?
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    You won't get a good FS bike for £550. Not unless you buy 2nd hand
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    This is probably as good as it gets for the price brand new

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod86948
  • the banshees a good bike at the price i have one and its done fortwilliam learnie laggan 7 stanes and is still going great and haven't changed a thing, yes its heavy but its a great cheap full sus and the suntour stuff is pretty good for the price
  • A banshee will survive a nuclear blast, it's a decent entry level aggressive full Suss.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Good to hear. i think ill get it at christmas. just fyi my current bike is a scorpion shock jump/am bike, with suntour XCR LOD Forks.
  • Bansees look like they should be tough but they aren't. Seen a couple young lads who ride my local trails snap them. They ride ok but are heavy
  • Bansees look like they should be tough but they aren't. Seen a couple young lads who ride my local trails snap them. They ride ok but are heavy

Mine was from the 08 era, pretty identical to the 06 era kona coiler, fair enough I can't vouch for the newer model but it doesn't seem to be that dissimilar.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Older Banshees had an issue with the chainstay (drive side right at the front where it bends down) later ones have a forged section in it's place and are not known to fail.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.