New bike and the differences...

#david2012
#david2012 Posts: 275
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Just treated myself to a focus cayo 4.0 :D
Been riding for about a year and really enjoying it. Saw the focus in the flesh and just fell for it lol
Now I've read up and researched (a lot) on the differences over my defy 1 which after 1800 miles I've grown comfortable on.
I've had a couple of quick runs out on the cayo and its a lovely bike, and today did. 30+ miler over a regular loop to really test it out.
I've set up saddle height exactly the same as the defy, and a few other measurements are now similar or same.
I know the geometry is different and the head tube much shorter but out the saddle ploughing up hills is completely different in a negative way.... Can't last for more than 10-15 seconds before my legs burn and have to retreat to the saddle. Don't get this at all with the defy where I could complete a small hill out the saddle if necessary. (Lower head tube position? )
Also the narrower bars don't feel quite as comfortable for my hand positioning .. Would moving to wider ones also help when pulling from a wider hand position?
Apart from that the ride is very smooth and you can definately spin up the hills easier, I've stuck on my dura ace c24's so better than the stock wheels.
Thanks guys

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If you could do more time out of the saddle on your old bike then IMO you have set your pedalling positioning wrong on the new bike but it still sounds a bit weird to me. :shock:
    Edit: Is the frame effective top tube smaller than your old bike?
  • Haha thanks for that diamonddog... hmmm you say pedaling position? different crank lengths maybe?
  • diamonddog
    Shouldn't make any difference if your out of the saddle, you would notice it when seated (legs would be slightly more bent than usual). Whereas IMO a shorter effective head tube would have the effect of pushing you further forward.
  • ok well thanks for the advice. it is early days i guess and there is no doubt the two bikes are different it may just be a case of adapting my riding style. the focus ultimately will be my good weather 'best bike', and the defy will be used throughout the winter, I guess I was hoping they would ride very similar which they dont, making the swopping about less problematic.
  • diamonddog
    As you say the geometry is different so they will feel different to start with. Just keep at it and with a few tweaks on the new bike the transition from one to the other will become easier.