Good luck finding me on foreign plates” says driver...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    good.

there is a Europe vehicle details share going to be happening in the next few years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Even better for those occasions when they aren't premier league footballers.
  • nicklouse
    1170944_10151611594832073_1567829715_n.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    Fantastic :)
  • According to Twitter, the spiv has been identified as a premiership footballer at a club in the area.....Let's see if it's true.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm waiting for pitch forks and burning torches...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While the driver shopuldn't have done and said what he diud, you have to read the full riders account, relevant extract here

"At the same time, as I was turning, the matte black vehicle had abruptly stopped against the kerb on the exit of the junction on the double yellow lines. I saw it and braked but couldn't stop in time, hitting the back of the vehicle. My face and shoulder took the impact with the back of my professional level race bike going vertical into the air and slamming back down onto the road."

So he rode straight into the back of a stationary car.....while the driver maybe shouldn't have been stopped there (case not proven) the rider is clearly at fault for the accident.

Bike doesn't look very proffesional level either, metal frame by the looks of it and shifting with cables (how 2011!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    But never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
  • The Rookie
    Oh indeed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Rookie wrote:
    So he rode straight into the back of a stationary car.....while the driver maybe shouldn't have been stopped there (case not proven) the rider is clearly at fault for the accident.

I'm not sure that gives the whole picture though you are probably right. From the images, I would assume that the Audi was on the main road and stopped immediately after the junction (where it was illegal to stop) and the rider was coming out of the side turn and assumed the car would carry on (which he shouldn't have done).

Of course, that begs the question why the idiot in the Audi did a runner in the first place. Whilst he shouldn't have stopped where he did, it was hardly a significant offence and easy enough to find an excuse for. At least if you aren't completely thick!

The other pertinent point is that anyone who drives an Audi Q7 deserves all the misery they get! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    Rolf F wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

I'm not sure that gives the whole picture though you are probably right. From the images, I would assume that the Audi was on the main road and stopped immediately after the junction
    It was a roundabaout, the fulelr decription makes it pretty clear to me that the rdier was going flat out and simply hadn't given himself enough time to stop, there could have been a quesu of traffic and the car waiting at the back of that and our hero would still have gone into teh back of it.

Not necesarily illegal to stop (and in most towns now parking on DYL's isn't illegal as parking has been decriminalised making it a 'contravention' anyway).
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    also a big differnce between parking and stopping.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not necesarily illegal to stop (and in most towns now parking on DYL's isn't illegal as parking has been made into a revenue earning device anyway).

FTFY..........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Regardless of who caused the collision, you still have to stop and exchange details.

It's quite good to see that a few (thousand) retweets can 'solve' something like this, but if you went to the police with crystal clear video of the whole thing happening they'd just shrug their shoulders and tell you to go away.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
  • Interesting change in the story... "a cyclist was injured after he collided with the back of a car"
    Last week I was assuming that the driver had ridden into the cyclist.

Granted, it's still an offence not to stop at the scene of an accident, but my initial impression that it was a 'hit and run' where the driver was at fault may not be correct.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    Reading the full story made it obvious (as i posted above) that the rider was at fault for the collision.

The driver would appear to be guilty of failing to stop/report but when they are not at fault for the collision it is rare for a prosecution to follow (though not unknown), more usually a ticking off and reminding of their responsibilities - especially to a foreign driver who may have been used to different rules of the road and where education seems more constructive than punishment.