Fitting full mudguards with disk brakes

vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
The summer 29er (with disks) needs mudguards

I managed to do this but it was a bit of a bodge up

There is an old rear mudguard on the front and a bit of plastic plumbing pipe holding it in place.

I might have to buy some proper mudguards and try fitting them with spacers if this arrangement falls to bits

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It would look more aestheticly pleasing if you were to use plastic strip. On my Kaffenback the front guard stay on the left side is mounted on to the top bolt of the disc calliper with a 5mm spacer.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    never had to do stuff like that when fitting full lengths in the shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fitting guards to large clearance forks/frames is a problem, Nick, so the question was how to do it, not whether or not you'd done it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I should be fitting some guards to the Pro6 before the weather gets too bad. Not sure what to do, there will be a large gap either above or below the guard. I've got chromoplastics, but wondering if something else woul be better.
  • I use Tortec guards on my pro6, these...
    http://road.cc/content/review/2716-tort ... -mudguards
    No problems fitting them and they really are excellent. Bit of a gap above on the front but then i have them fitted pretty close to the tyres.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    I use a bit of flat plastic bolted to the crown, with the mudguard bolted to that in order to get the guard closer to the tyre at the front. At the rear, I cut some slots into the mount and bend it to effectively make the mounting tab a little bit longer.

Luckily my forks have the mudguard mount above the caliper, and the rear caliper is on the chainstay rather than seatstay, which makes life rather easier.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    What is inside the steerer tube? Can you fit an internal pipe extension? You could then fit it with an expanding plug (threaded stem style) and put the bolt through a hole in the mudguard.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    nicklouse wrote:
    never had to do stuff like that when fitting full lengths in the shop.

I used old stuff I had in the junk / spares box. The mudguards are not wide enough. Also the stays had already been cut, longer stays would have helped. The "neat" way to fit on disk brakes seems to be to use a spacer. By "a spacer" I mean padding out a gap between the attachment point on the end of the mudguard stay and the fork. As shown here http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/25/0 ... cross-bike

I will probably be getting these mudguards http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/axi ... 3915-p.asp and fitting them with a spacer.