Dutch Cycling - Holey Moley

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Wow - you can tell that cycling is safe in Amsterdam

Cycling without a lid is de rigeur of course
Texting whilst riding - 1-in-20 riders?
No lights at night 1-in-3?

But it's safe. Except for the guy who'd head butted a lamp post (?) whilst texting (?) - he was still moving but copious blood from his head as he was sprawled face-down - not good.

Loving the city though. Found a place near Vondel Park - 3 weeks and counting.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• I love the Vondel area of The Dam. Not been for a few years but always head around there for accommodation and culture.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    People will think you're a weirdo wearing a helmet.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    People will think you're a weirdo wearing a helmet.
  • People will think you're a weirdo looking where you're going.

EFA since you double-posted :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    A few more cyclists than on the Black Isle then?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeah and those same people head to the mountains for the Marmotte with riding skills pretty much as you described, scary to the in the pack with especially descending a col. :? :shock:

that said I did help me carve my way past any groups larger than two
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I noticed in Florence that the you must always cycle in nonchalant fashion.

Methods include smoking, texting, phone calls and holding a dog.

Doing them all at the same time is recommended but optional.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    But it's safe. Except for the guy who'd head butted a lamp post (?) whilst texting (?) - he was still moving but copious blood from his head as he was sprawled face-down - not good.

You might still get knocked off by a driver but you'll always have another cyclist to cushion the fall.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    So my Dutch cycling tip from when I lived in Amsterdam is, when you are cycling along with your girlfriend riding side saddle on the rear rack, remember that her legs are wider than your body when you try and squeeze between two bollards at speed.

I was very unpopular after that one.

Also, if you leave your bike on the street, don't get too attached to it...
  • mroli wrote:
    Also, if you leave your bike on the street, don't get too attached to it...

I swear some of the chains were bigger and heavier than the (incredibly big & heavy) bikes they were securing.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Why are people nicking rubbish bikes?

Sending them abroad in containers?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Why are people nicking rubbish bikes?

Sending them abroad in containers?

That's a good question. There's also a question that, if the crime is so commonplace, why don't the police just crack down on it and close off some of the supply chain.

The slightly bizarre thing is that, according to Cambridge police (10 years ago now), bikes nicked in Cambridge would wind up in Amsterdam.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The best I ever saw was a very dreamy girl doing her hair whilst riding along no handed, then stretching and yawning...man i nearly hit a lampost then too...

Some bikes are stolen by druggies who flog them for cash but most of them are taken mistakenly, taken drunkenly to ride home when someone can't find/didnt bring their own bike or just vandalised by idiots (i.e. thrown in the canal). There is no big organised bike mafia or something...Plus if you leave it outside of a designated parking area then council can remove them (which is urgently needed in Leiden now the students are back!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    most of them are taken mistakenly

Just doesn't make sense that people need battleship anchor chains to lock them then... Seriously, I've never seen bike locks like it.
  • ddraver
    The common advice I got is to lock it to something and lock it twice (i.e the horseshoe wheel lock thingum and then a chain around a post).To be honest it seems that that will deter 99% of druggies or drunks (unless it's one of the fancy Dutch Bikes).

Second, most of those massive locks actually cost 5E in Hema and would nt deter a 4 year old for more than 2 mins...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    The common advice I got is to lock it to something and lock it twice (i.e the horseshoe wheel lock thingum and then a chain around a post).To be honest it seems that that will deter 99% of druggies or drunks (unless it's one of the fancy Dutch Bikes).

Second, most of those massive locks actually cost 5E in Hema and would nt deter a 4 year old for more than 2 mins...

Yup - I suppose those horseshoe locks prevent the rear wheel going missing.

Yup - in life, size isn't always a guarantee of quality. The lock part of those chains looked more feeble than the chain.

I did see more SS bikes than I was expecting after advice on here. That said, as I'm going to try to go "sans car" whilst I'm in NL, I definitely need a load-lugging bike and my commute is insignificant (especially after what I'm used to). I'm tempted by those wheelbarrow bikes as some sort of battering ram :wink:
  • ddraver
    You want a battered looking single speed, backpedal brake with a strong rear rack (so you can give lifts to more dreamy girls). Then you want to ride it as hard/fast as you can ;)

You need the back peddle brake so you can slow down when you re texting, holding a crate of beer, doing your ponytail...

If you can afford/park the car I'd recommend keeping it so you can escape the city and go and see other places in Holland/Belgium/Germany etc. You won't need it in A'dam though
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    You need the back peddle brake so you can slow down when you re texting, holding a crate of beer, doing your ponytail...

If you can afford/park the car I'd recommend keeping it so you can escape the city and go and see other places in Holland/Belgium/Germany etc. You won't need it in A'dam though

Hadn't considered those advantages of back-pedal brakes! :wink::lol:

I'll just hire a car if I need one. I'm probably not going to be there too many weekends and I'm sure I can cover quite a distance by road bike (which I'm taking and will store in my apartment) at weekends that I'm there
  • ddraver wrote:
    (which is urgently needed in Leiden now the students are back!)

yup, the students are back in force! bio science park is littered with them!
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Interesting perspective. I'm Dutch and ended up in England, so for me it felt like the other way around. I remember being surprised to see helmets (and fluo gilets) everywhere and people looking at me like I'm from the circus when I just wanted to stretch my back and take my hands off the bars on a straight road. However, I thought that riding without lights in the dark is more heavily fined and checked in The Netherlands, so I'm not with you there.
  • cesco wrote:
    However, I thought that riding without lights in the dark is more heavily fined and checked in The Netherlands, so I'm not with you there.

There was a significant proportion of people not using the lights fitted to their bikes. It was a city street but very dark.

For me it's going to be such a radical change: 15+ miles to work down hilly back roads where I hardly see another person let alone another bike to a couple of km on bike tracks and swarms of other cyclists. And that's before we start to talk about the kit and the clothing.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    cesco wrote:
    However, I thought that riding without lights in the dark is more heavily fined and checked in The Netherlands, so I'm not with you there.

There was a significant proportion of people not using the lights fitted to their bikes.

Yep, I almost forgot: 9 out of 10 time the lights fitted to Dutch bikes don't work. :)
  • ddraver
    yeah you ll find an unpoliced route from work/pub/etc to home quite quickly ;)
    - @ddraver