Cool rider bag design project

ruoshudong
ruoshudong Posts: 2
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone
I am an industrial designer. Currently I am working on a exciting Bicycle project on my own. I want to design a good & cool bag for bike rider to carry while they are riding, providing them with great benefit and better performance. So I need your help, guys. Because you are the right customers and users I am designing for. Any of your thoughts on it would be greatly helpful to this projects.

Please help me out with a 10-questions survey. The survey is shot, won't take you a lot of time. You can fill out the survey from this link:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMN95WK

Your help will be greatly appreciated by our team, and we hope you even can be one of the testers for our products in the future.
Many thanks, guys!!!

Comments

• I've done the survey, but like so many we see on this site, its not going to tell you much. You asked the same question three times, out of only 10 questions. Moreover, the question was effectively, what does a commuter put in a bag. Do you even need to ask once? What do you take to work? Cyclists are the same.

If you want to improve a bag, ride a bike with a bag on your back and fix what annoys you. Its different strokes for different folks and depends on what you ride, how hard you ride and how far you ride.

For me, messenger bags are the way to go because they put least pressure on your neck/shoulders in a road bike position, but they all suffer from the same problems - stopping them from sliding around on your back, and heat. Whereas backpack design pinches ideas from hiking and provides air channels and padding, messenger bags are usually little more than waterproof bidons (look it up).

Improve the ergonomics without compromising the syle and convenience and you are on to a winner.

Alternatively, design a backpack which sits right when you are riding a bike wearing a cycle helmet. The ones on the market now are fine when you are standing up, okay on a mtb but pretty poor in my experience if ride a drop bar bike, because they all sit too high on your back, which is pretty much horizontal when cycling.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'v

For me, messenger bags are the way to go because they put least pressure on your neck/shoulders in a road bike position, but they all suffer from the same problems - stopping them from sliding around on your back, and heat. .
    See Crumpler bags they have a third leg stabiliser strap - it works a treat.

Also allows you to wear it a bit lower so you don't get the heat problem.

The only issue I have with Crumplers is they have frankly too many compartments, so a albeit smallish chunk of the capacity / overall weight is taken up with internal compartments.

I haven't looked at your survey. OP based on comments above
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    t4tomo wrote:
    I'v

For me, messenger bags are the way to go because they put least pressure on your neck/shoulders in a road bike position, but they all suffer from the same problems - stopping them from sliding around on your back, and heat. .
    See Crumpler bags they have a third leg stabiliser strap - it works a treat.

Also allows you to wear it a bit lower so you don't get the heat problem.

The only issue I have with Crumplers is they have frankly too many compartments, so a albeit smallish chunk of the capacity / overall weight is taken up with internal compartments.

I haven't looked at your survey. OP based on comments above

I've got a Hairy Lee and its just a massive pocket.

For the record, I've also got a Long Schlong.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Timbuk2, nuff said.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I have a Timbuk2. Have used them for 15 years. Great bags, but it moves around a bit. Its a square bag - not much concession to ergonomics. There's scope for improvement.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Mine's fine with the extra strap. Loads of internal compartments plus a big one for general stuff. I'd have liked to have gone for a custom designed one but it was almost 3 times the price of the one I bought from Evan
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Using a Timbuk2, I can think of several things that could be improved even though it's a good bag. Chrome is better, at twice the money (buckle and finish really).

A good backpack for a road bike commuter could be a winner.