2nd hand womens DH/FR frame...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
So after 3 years of living in the Alps the missuz has kinda got the DH bug (which is great timing as my Enduro build is nearing completion, so straight onto the next project)

She had a try on a Kona Operator today, seemed too big and cumbersome but maybe it was just the wrong size.

So looking for used FR/DH frame in probably a S or XS size. Will probably put a 180mm Domain (single crown) 318 on it. It won't be abused too much but I also don't want to be having to change as she improves and gains confidence.

Budget, maybe £300-£400 inc. shock

Stinky?
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• Why not go "mini downhill"? could build it lighter and have a bit more choice in frame size...

An SX trail frame would be ideal.. Saracen Ariel, Cube Frittz, Orange Alpine/Patriot (if you like scaffolding).
  • Probably out of your budget but a transition bottlerocket might work for size. I know lots of people complained that they came up small.
  • SX trail is great and works well with dual crowns if needed. They are bomb proof.
    Later model Giant Faith is awesome if you can find one, a bit rare here but maybe more common in the alps.
    Avoid anything French.
  • That's what I needed, a bit of inspiration!

SX trail is a good call, I saw a couple of the dH trails over summer (one with an air shock?) and they looked right at home. Good place to start. When you say 'later model' Giant Faith what's the oldest I should be looking at?...'look' like they weigh a ton!

Cheers
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 2010 onwards for the Faith. The older ones weigh as much as a cow. Newer ones are much lighter.
    Avoid air shocks, even the Vivid world cup isn't as good as a mid range Fox coil and the Fox DHX air is terrible.