Self-p*ncturing tyres

Hot Orange
Hot Orange Posts: 157
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Over the last few weeks, I've suffered a spate of extremely annoying slow p*nctures. It's been a bit of a mystery to me, as the tyre exterior is unblemished (I'm running Conti GP 4 Seasons). I thought they might be pinch flats, so I've kept the pressures up to the maximum and have checked and checked again that the tubes haven't been caught during installation.

While sorting out the latest flat today, I noticed that the hole was in exactly the same place in relation to the valve as the previous one. Checking the tyre, I saw that there appears to be slight cut to the interior wall of the tyre, through which you can just see some of the tyre's inner workings. It doesn't feel sharp to the touch, but there is a definite protrusion.

So, a few questions: Could this be causing my flats? From the position, it would seem to be the obvious candidate. But how could it happen? How does the interior of the tyre get damaged? And most importantly, could I get away with patching the interior wall of the tyre to cover the protrusion and bring to an end the constant p*ncturing? I've got a 400 mile coast to coast next week that I'd like to take on with some faith in my tyres. Cheers.
Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    When you find out, please tell me because I'm having exactly the same problem with my SS (even down to the tyres).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Sounds likely you have a bit of glass thoroughly embedded in your tyre. Turn it inside out and push from the outside until you see the offender.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    When you take your tube out of the tyre is the hole in the same place?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I had this a while back, it turned out to be a small piece of metal wire, no sign on the outside or inside when the tyre was off while replacing/repairing the tube. After three punctures in the same place I had a closer look and found it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Sounds likely you have a bit of glass thoroughly embedded in your tyre. Turn it inside out and push from the outside until you see the offender.
    ^^^^ this. Glass can hide in the tyre and only visible under a bit do pressure
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Thanks for the advice, all. I'll have a closer look inside the cut today.
  • I had this. I ended up changing the tyre, but a preglued patch on the inside of the tyre itself stops the tyre eating our tube, as long as it's a cut not glass or metal stuck in the tyre.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sorted mine out; rim tape was off centre.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My vittoria evo CX rear is done, picked up another slow puncture this afternoon, but in true form I put a TT inner tube and a tyre liner in place, hey why not. Once more visit from the PF and they're gone so nothing to lose.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I didn't find anything on closer inspection of the cut, so I put a patch on the inside of the tyre and so far it's holding up (touches lots of wood). I have bought another set of tyres, though, and if/when the problem recurs, the tyre's heading for the bin.