Cav - second

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited September 2013 in Pro race
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23994405

He is very cagey about committing himself to Rio - do you think he will compete?
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Tbh even if his mantle as best sprinter hadn't been challenged this year, he may well have found himself contemplating new or slightly more diverse challenges over the next 3-4 years. Given that his reign as top dog is clearly in the latter stages brings it all more into focus.
    I see it as a good thing, ignoring the doping issues I never really understood the whole LA only ever targetting the TdF year after year. Mark is no longer going to win 5 Champs stages consecutively and the green jersey looks out of reach for a little while at least. Time for a new challenge.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
    If he takes another 3 TdF stages next year the temptation to go for the all-time TdF stage record will be too much - but that will take him until at least to 2016, but given the new crop of challengers..
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I wonder how much that record appeals though. I would think it would be a nice to have but I'm sure he'd trade it for another classic win given the choice. Or maybe an Olympic gold.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Sensible for Cav to keep his options open for Rio under the new rules - there was simply no reason for him NOT to race in Gent.

Whether he even wants to try and get in the GB track squad is almost irrelevant at this stage.

I'm assuming that Sir Wiggo has all this in hand as he is definitely aiming for Rio!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • he should stick to tdf as I don't think he wouild make TP team and others are better at omnium so what would he ride in?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    he should stick to tdf as I don't think he wouild make TP team and others are better at omnium so what would he ride in?
    The omnium. Because there aren't others that are better.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Daz555
    RichN95 wrote:
    he should stick to tdf as I don't think he wouild make TP team and others are better at omnium so what would he ride in?
    I don't know - Clancy is getting better and better all round. Him making the team sprint squad shows his versatility.
  • RichN95.
    Daz555 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't know - Clancy is getting better and better all round. Him making the team sprint squad shows his versatility.
    His problem is he seems to struggle tactically in the mass start races - something that Cavendish is likely to be much superior at.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    His problem is he seems to struggle tactically in the mass start races - something that Cavendish is likely to be much superior at.

^This. Clancy storms the flying lap, kilo and IP, but invariably drops shedloads of points in the bunch races. And his priority and love is the TP, Omnium's always a distant 2nd for him - which is why if Cav did emerge, I dont think Clancy would get a cob on
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,926
    RichN95 wrote:

I should think that by 2016 a rider like Sam Harrison could easily be better given they concentrate on track work. I can't see Cav's team sponsors allowing him to concentrate on the Olympics at the expense of road results.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    I can't see Cav's team sponsors allowing him to concentrate on the Olympics at the expense of road results.
    That would depend on who his sponsor is. (His contract at OPQS expires at the end of 2015)
  • Daz555
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I can't see Cav's team sponsors allowing him to concentrate on the Olympics at the expense of road results.
    That would depend on who his sponsor is. (His contract at OPQS expires at the end of 2015)
    To make the track squad he'd have to give up most of his 2015 road season I reckon.
  • Rich , as Pross mentioned Sam Harrison is a better prospect for Rio as will be a few others. Cav would have to ride track a hell of a lot more, probably for entire year before Rio to even get as good as some others in technical events like flying lap, and IP, this is where he would struggle. If you could merge Cav and Clancy into one rider you have the perfect Omnium rider, Viviani is very good alrounder. Sam has the potential as he has posted world class time in IP and Kilo and is very astute in bunch racing. Even Wiggo will have his work cut out but his TT class is more easily translated into track TP than Cavs sprint capability. If there was a maddison or scratch Cav would make it for sure. You only have to look at Swifty who is a class trackie and his "all roundness" did not get him in the TP or omnium. I hope people wont quote results at events like the Manchester rev series as they are rigged lol sort of.