best time to bike

moggy12
moggy12 Posts: 109
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
now up to 20 mls on my hbrid is it better to go mid afternoon after breaky andlunch or 2hrs after breaky ? still have a lot of weight to lose

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Just go when it suits you best.personally I like to go an hour after brekky as my fav time.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As long as you don't have a large meal and go biking straight afterwards just go when it feels best to you. If you go when you are hungry or thirsty it will be slower and harder going so bext avoided.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Go whenever you get the chance. Always.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    London 3am. Always fun.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    If you want to lose weight then before brekky might be a better option.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    I prefer late at night because there is less cars and because of my bike lights I am more likely to be seen.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Where abouts in Staffordshire? Anytime, all times have their merits. Just get out and enjoy!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    wheezee wrote:
    Go whenever you get the chance. Always.

This +1000

For weight loss though, I have found the most effective is in the morning without breakfast as you go into fat burning easier (need to make sure you dont screw up and bonk if going too far/fast etc, so only really for relatively short rides) or in the evening when I would otherwise be sat in front of the TV feeling the urge to snack (riding keeps me busy so I dont feel the urge then after I dont want to waste the effort so can easily resist plus it isnt so long until bed to resist).
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Quick bowl of cereal and then out for 2-3 hours
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Go as often as you can is the best answer - interesting bit in this months cyclist though saying that going early morning and again later the same day triggers some extra fat burning chemical or system.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Regarding the pre breakfast riding...
    I did a lot of running in a fasted state during the spring this year whilst training for an ultra marathon. I found it worked well but it is very much about training your body to work on fat stores so your metabolism is geared up to efficient use of fat during long efforts.
    I am not actually sure it is a better strategy for weight loss though. These fasted workouts are not (and should not be) as intense as a non-fasted training effort. You're probably better off with a sensible breakfast and a harder ride.
    As for the weight loss. I've never been big but for the last few years I've had more of a belly than I should despite typically 5-12 hours high intensity exercise per week year round. I used exercise as a reason to not adjust my diet. Just recently reduced bread and cheese intake dramatically and replaced it all with fruit and nuts. This has made a remarkable difference.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    morstar wrote:
    Just recently reduced bread and cheese intake dramatically and replaced it all with fruit and nuts. This has made a remarkable difference.

portion size is most important, there are the same amount of carbs in an apple as two slices of bread and there are ounce for ounce at least twice the fat content in nuts as there are in cheddar cheese, need to choose carefully.

Blood glucose is lowest in the morning, more glucose after lunch will be turned to fat unless energy is expended.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike